When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1898 Rambler Clinchers What Size Tire Fits??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

carlitos60

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
1898 Rambler Clinchers What Size Tire Fits??
I Tried 700x35, I Tried 28x11/2!
1 Too Small, Other Too Large!!

I believe the bead circumference is somewhere around 1990mm? The closest size to that would be the English 28x1-1/2 size found on rod brake bikes, but at 1994mm circumference it's just a bit too large.

I believe the bead circumference is somewhere around 1990mm? The closest size to that would be the English 28x1-1/2 size found on rod brake bikes, but at 1994mm circumference it's just a bit too large.

That's Right!!!!
I Already Tried!!
That Sucks,,,I Need Some Tires!!

The 700mm tires have an ISO of 622, the 28x1 1/2 I believe the ISO is 635. The 27x 1 1/4 tires that were on the bikes from the 70's have an ISO of 630, I have had some luck fitting them on wood rims.

Maybe you can remove the sheet metal off metal clad 28"wood rims and install them on your G&J rims. You can then glue Robert Dean's single tube tires on which are also available in all white. The only other alternative is to have separate wheels to install on your Rambler and just keep the original rims with the bike.

Maybe you can remove the sheet metal off metal clad 28"wood rims and install them on your G&J rims. You can then glue Robert Dean's single tube tires on which are also available in all white. The only other alternative is to have separate wheels to install on your Rambler and just keep the original rims with the bike.

Sound Like the 2nd Option is the Right Option!!!:(
I Glued 700 x 33 Tubulars and Rode Fine; BUT, It Eat the Side Edge of the Tires!!!:angry:
I May Do Something with the Edge of the Rims!!
Thanks!

Sound Like the 2nd Option is the Right Option!!!:(
I Glued 700 x 33 Tubulars and Rode Fine; BUT, It Eat the Side Edge of the Tires!!!:angry:
I May Do Something with the Edge of the Rims!!
Thanks!
Having the same challenge. I planned on mounting white Dugast 35 mm tubs adhering with tub tape. Realized the sidewall issue (wide rim-narrow base tape) before going forward. Thinking about laying narrow strip of rim tape either side of center adhesive tape to protect tubs sidewalls.

Updated info on Dugast tires: According to their website they are now offering the white Pipistrello CX tubulars 700 x 38 (closer to 1 1/2") with a wide base tape option of 27-32mm. My last purchase the widest was 35 mm and there was only one base tape width (too narrow for our TOC wood rims) offered. They have accomodated me in the past with leaving off their logo but unfortunately the presta valve stems are still pretty long. I have fabricated fake schrader covers for them but you can escape the length.
23795139_1749382781740165_351702658647132022_n.jpg

Back