When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1898 Tinkham Adult Trike - Bars??

-

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
For almost 2 years I have been attempting to correct the sins past owners have inflicted on my 1898 Tinkham Adult Tricycle. Now I need advice on the last part of this puzzle. What type of handle bars would have been used on a 1898 bicycle or adult Tricycle? In my mind it seems like they should be a simple crescent arched shape all on the same plane without belding up or down. At any rate I would love to get suggestions on the correct bars and it would incredibly cool if someone here had a set for sale.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
Here it is Patric. What do you think do the bars look period correct? I know the stem was hacked together so I replaced it.

DF73D881-D934-4F6E-A74E-A8A85F3EE363.jpeg
F1251BEA-0B10-4F1A-A5D7-75EEA6538A07.jpeg
1C44BA3A-D6D6-42AB-B58D-51C59FB1CCCD.jpeg

Last edited:
Bars look good, Ed !

That has got to be the BIGGEST trumpet-mouth
fitting I has ever seen ... where the downtube
attaches to the headtube. WOW ... that feature,
on your machine is gi-groh-tus ... and I did figure-
in a couple o'three go-hoag-uns ... that's the
impression that I get.

Noticed the machine is equipped to handle the
Fauber ring and crank set ups. Fauber rings go
up to 32-teeth ... with a modest adjustment to the
rear cog. Also noticed there is only one tube
connecting the crankcase area with the entire aft-
section of the trike. O.K. -- O.K. ... bad habit o'mine.
always wanting to upgrade the chainring size .....
fahgettaboudit ... looks good as presented.

Maybe I'm wrong ... anyone know if there was class
of tricycles built for racing application ?

Good Schtuff -- your machine .....

....... patric

Last edited:
Thanks Patric, blue streak, and Carlton. That is super helpful. Blue streak thanks for the article. I had seen a lot of articles but not that one, What is cool and rather ironic is that my Tinkham did not have the correct fork. in fact someone had cobbled one together. Every Tinkham I had ever seen had a Sterns Fork. Now it makes sense after learning about the relationship between the 2 companies. I was able to find a Sterns front fork, thanks to a cabe member and will be using that as I reburish this machine.

Back