When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1899 Columbia chainless disassembly help

-

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I'm working on overhauling a Model 59 and I figured out how to disassemble most of it... I am down to the driveshaft bolt (square nut inside of bottom bracket). Does anybody recall the thread orientation on this nut? Better yet, I've seen some talk about a PDF of the full service book floating around for this model. If anybody has a copy of this, I would be very interested in getting that.

Thanks for any help,

This pamphlet is for 1900 and newer Columbia Chainless so not sure it will be of help for your 1899 Model 59:

I scoured this thread when I first started and it helped a lot, but it doesn't answer the question I have regarding driveshaft removal. It's a fantastic resource though. I will shoot him my question via PM.

Edit: Oh it's you! My question is about the thread orientation on the square nut inside the BB. All you said is that you tightened it and that the assumption is the bearings would be serviced first. Every other turn you made, you documented which direction it was, except that one :grin:

I scoured this thread when I first started and it helped a lot, but it doesn't answer the question I have regarding driveshaft removal. It's a fantastic resource though. I will shoot him my question via PM.

Edit: Oh it's you! My question is about the thread orientation on the square nut inside the BB. All you said is that you tightened it and that the assumption is the bearings would be serviced first. Every other turn you made, you documented which direction it was, except that one :grin:

Dang.. I honestly don’t remember the thread orientation. But I’m almost certain it is standard, as I am hoping I would have addressed it if it was reversed threading. Also, I don’t see an advantage to reverse threading on that specific mechanism. Good luck! And, please add to the thread once you’ve determined the thread orientation..

Dang.. I honestly don’t remember the thread orientation. But I’m almost certain it is standard, as I am hoping I would have addressed it if it was reversed threading. Also, I don’t see an advantage to reverse threading on that specific mechanism. Good luck! And, please add to the thread once you’ve determined the thread orientation..
I thought the same--reverse threading wouldn't seem correct considering the direction everything would be spinning. I will give it the old college try and report.

Well it is not budging and I don't plan on breaking anything on a 1-year only, 120 year old bicycle. The shaft spins smooth and the adjustment felt good when it was assembled--would oil bath be sufficient lubrication for these bearings? Reading the manual, it almost sounds like that's how it was from the factory but I would have much rather cleaned and greased the bearings at least. The plan is to have a rider, though I don't have any centuries in mind.

Back