When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1899 Columbia chainless Mod. 59

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
So I have had this project for 5 years and finally got the space to set up my workshop again. It was originally purchased by an out-of-state member here and I picked it up to ship as it was local to me. I offhandedly mentioned my interest in it, he later came back and said something came up and if I was really interested, he would sell it to me.

Of course I do not have a single photo before starting and the original thread doesn't seem to exist anymore... but here's some of it during disassembly.

DSCF0857.JPG
DSCF0860.JPG
DSCF0861.JPG

I took a decent number of reference photos if anybody needs a shot of something specific, let me know.

Removing the crank cover was fun. First of all, I wasn't confident of the thread orientation. Second, it was tight and likely never removed. I started using a punch but quickly realized that was a no-no as it was ovaling the pin-holes. Here's the tool I made of scrap wood, random seat post, and a drill bit:

DSCF0873.JPG

It's nice to have the original tools to work on these. I won't do it without my original tools. I like your home made tool. Very clever.

I’m also working on an 1899 model 59 project right now I got from another cabe member. It’s apart right now down to every last nut and bolt. Glad to see another one of these being saved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plan was every nut and bolt, but the driveshaft was cranked on and I could not find any documentation denoting the thread orientation, so I didn't want to fight it and risk breaking a bevel tooth. Is the square nut inside the crank standard or reverse threaded?!

Is the square nut inside the crank standard or reverse threaded?!

I believe it’s standard threaded, but I’ll check when I get home. If you remove the half moon piece, you can get to the back end of the driveshaft. A 15/16 socket fits perfect on it, so no risk of breaking off a tooth

I believe it’s standard threaded, but I’ll check when I get home. If you remove the half moon piece, you can get to the back end of the driveshaft. A 15/16 socket fits perfect on it, so no risk of breaking off a tooth

Thanks! Judging by the spinning direction and logic, standard would have been my guess. The issue with removing from the back is that you still won't be able to fully disassemble it as the driveshaft can slide out the back, but not out the front. Without a rear wheel on, I could not hold the rear bevel gear tight enough to get the front nut off. I maybe could have adjusted the lash cones in to free up that nut, but I opted to give a clean and grease as best I could in one piece. Good to know for the future if I ever restore the bike.

Back