When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1899 Columbia Chainless

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
IMG_9742.JPG

Install gear cover. Reverse threading.

image.jpg
Brass bushing Oiler hole thing. Not sure if this is standard on all chainless Columbia's but mine had one so I'm simply reinstalling it where I found it. It's concave on the bottom to follow the round bearing housing. I'll add some gear oil later

image.jpg
The rear backlash is adjusted by loosening the large hex nut. Then turning in or out the center shaft/bushing assembly. Tighten hex nut. Make this adjustment while the covers are off, of course.
Once the adjustment is locked in, you'll need to remove the simply once more to reinstall the covers. You will not need to loosen the locknut to do this. Once the adjustment is locked in, you'll need to remove the assembly w frame component (two flathead screws) once more to reinstall the covers. You will not need to loosen the locknut to do this

Last edited:
The assembly tested well by hand. I am not an expert but this method seems to have worked well for me. I basically greased bearings and used oil/bath for the gears. I'm sure the oil will get into the grease after some riding but I was afraid that the bearings would run dry with oil alone. Please post if you have more advice or if I got something horribly wrong.

Back