When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1899 Columbia chainless

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Marty Potts

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Dear velocipedist,
I'm trying to reassemble my 1899 Columbia men's chainless #59 and can't get the rear hub placed correctly. I have a 1900 chainless manual but it seems different than my 1899 bike. I printed the pics and directions you posted June 7, 2017, but do you still have the copy of the original 1899 service manual you got from Jesse McCauley? You said it was "Very helpful but the illustrations had me guessing as to which parts were being referenced." Would you please email or fax a copy to me? Maybe the 2 sets combined will make me successful.
Thanks in advance,
Marty Potts
[email protected]
309-698-0034 landline
East Peoria, IL

Its too late now but in the future do what this old man does.Take pictures with you phone. Sometimes just having a washer on the wrong side can stop all the assembly.Hope someone here can help

Like Vince said. You can also have someone make a video of the disassembly and post it on the CABE. Make sure you use lots of lighting, with closeups....

Dear velocipedist,
I'm trying to reassemble my 1899 Columbia men's chainless #59 and can't get the rear hub placed correctly. I have a 1900 chainless manual but it seems different than my 1899 bike. I printed the pics and directions you posted June 7, 2017, but do you still have the copy of the original 1899 service manual you got from Jesse McCauley? You said it was "Very helpful but the illustrations had me guessing as to which parts were being referenced." Would you please email or fax a copy to me? Maybe the 2 sets combined will make me successful.
Thanks in advance,
Marty Potts
[email protected]
309-698-0034 landline
East Peoria, IL
East Peoria! Dang your about 15 min from me!

Dear velocipedist,
Thanks in advance,
Marty Potts
[email protected]
309-698-0034 landline
East Peoria, IL

I just texted him your information. I know he's out of town for a vintage car race this weekend, so he may not get back to you for a couple days.

Dear velocipedist,
Thanks in advance,
Marty Potts
[email protected]
309-698-0034 landline
East Peoria, IL

Dear Velocipedist, I have one question for you. In the pic of the bottom bracket you said "So I started my rebuild by tightening this square retaining nut pictured at the front end of the drive shaft." By tightening that nut does it force the pinion to be in direct contact with the beveled ring welded to the shaft? ie there is no adjustment of the pinion position on the length of the shaft. Is that correct? Thanks for your time. Marty Potts

Finally after 16 yrs I completed restoration of the 1899 Mens Columbia shaft-drive model 59, size 24"!!!
IMG_0162.jpg
Thanks to all who helped with their comments and especially Velocipedest Co. with all of his assembly pics from 2 yrs ago. Sincerely, Marty Potts, East Peoria, IL

Back