When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1899 Columbia Model 59 Chainless rear hub

-

CaryD

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello,
New to the group. Acquired this bike in 2019 Performed a full mechanical restoration, and a good healthy clean up. I unfortunately put on the universal "display tires" when I did, but that's was available in 2020. I have 2 questions.
1) How does the gear come off the hub? I have the spoon columbia coaster brake, which is what was on the bike when I got. Unfortunately no original porcupine hub.
2) Do I have to get a chainless hub specifically if I would like to get a different hub?
Thank you

20210704_054543.jpg

Very cool ride....tires look just fine...it's mostly those lights you'll get heckled for here on that bike. Welcome! If they haven't already I'm certain an experienced Caber will offer some insights. But not without asking for more images.....Keep the faith!
Kryn

I have seen and actually also have a model 59 that came with the same hub that you have on yours. The gear is threaded on using normal threads. If you are planning to use the same gear then yes the threads are specific for chainless hubs. I have however seen different hubs used. I haven't had one of these in my hands so I can't tell you how it was done but I have you can get bevel gears and machine them so work. You just have to use the same size gear because it's a match to the one on the shaft. If you go too big it will not work unless you also change the one on the shaft.

I was wrong the porcupine hubs we have are for chain drive. the shaft drive hubs we have are for ball end spokes. Sorry

That's OK. I am still interested as long as its for shaft drive. I can figure out the spokes. Do you have pictures?

Back