When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

19?? Elgin with 2 speed brake drum hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rideahiggins

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
What year and model would this bike be? I don't have the front fender or wheel for it. It's a 28" wheel frame with a 26" wheel, it has the fender spacers. One leg of the fork has just a hole no slot.

DSCN0295.JPG

DSCN0296.JPG

DSCN0297.JPG

DSCN0298.JPG

DSCN0299.JPG

DSCN0300.JPG

I have an identical framed Elgin. Always thought (and still do) that it's a 1935 built by Westfield. Mine has a simple Musslem built Elgin coaster brake. I identified it by the detachable truss rod supports and the 3 section head on the fork. Same ridiculous axle holes in the fork. Thinking that I'm going to open up that closed hole. Changed a tire recently and had to unscrew the axle out of the cones to remove the wheel. Not a good idea for a roadside flat repair.

I was thinking that this Snyder-built Sears Elgin might be a 1934-C, and perhaps built at the then-newly acquired Excelsior Michigan City factory, closer to the western mail order catalog companies.

I have what I now believe is a 1932-A Snyder-built 28” Sears Elgin badged motorbike; and wonder myself when did Sears switch from Excelsior-built (seen in 1929/30 ads) to Snyder-built, with Snyder features, and without Excelsior features.

I have also seen early 1931-J Westfield built Sears Elgin motorbikes, with the Westfield features, and without Excelsior or Snyder features.

Last edited:
Back