When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1900 Columbia Model 65 Chainless

-

Dave Stromberger

I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Do That
System Administrator
1900, from what I've read in other threads here on The CABE. Just scored this yesterday, thanks to a tip from @rustyspoke66 about a Craigslist ad in Yakima, WA. That's a 3 hour drive that I hadn't anticipated making, but well worth it!

The front wheel and seat are 1930's replacements, and I think possibly the handlebars aren't original either. The rear hub is in question. Literature and comments on The CABE suggest it had a fixed gear hub that used ball-end spokes originally, but this one is equipped with a Corbin coaster brake.... must have been an upgrade done a few years after the bike was new?

Rear rim is steel with a profile I've never seen before.... original?

License tag is from Mutnomah County, Oregon... 1900.

Anyway, I thought I'd share.... and if anyone can add info or catalog scans, that would be awesome! ... The lit scans I've found online are low-resolution and difficult/impossible to read.

Columbia model 65 chainless-001.jpg

Columbia model 65 chainless-002.jpg

Columbia model 65 chainless-003.jpg

Columbia model 65 chainless-004.jpg

Columbia model 65 chainless-006.jpg

Columbia model 65 chainless-007.jpg

Last edited:
Dave,

Both wheels should have wood rims, black with double gold strips. The only brakes available in 1900 where a plunger on the front wheel (optional on the 65, see page 5 standard on Model 66) and a kick back drag coaster brake on the rear wheel, also optional, see page 11 in the catalog. Also both wheels would have been built with ball end spokes and hubs. If you can post a picture of the brake arm on your bike I will be able to pin point the years is was standard equipment....Ross Handlebars might be original can't tell for sure.

Dave,

Both wheels should have wood rims, black with double gold strips. The only brakes available in 1900 where a plunger on the front wheel (optional on the 65, see page 5 standard on Model 66) and a kick back drag coaster brake on the rear wheel, also optional, see page 11 in the catalog. Also both wheels would have been built with ball end spokes and hubs. If you can post a picture of the brake arm on your bike I will be able to pin point the years is was standard equipment....Ross Handlebars might be original can't tell for sure.

The handlebars, upon closer inspection were chromed, not nickel. I found a pair of similar bars in my parts stash that are nickel and measure 19" just like the catalog calls for, so maybe these will be "close enough", for now anyway.

I have another one of these that is super rough, a parts bike basically. It has the original barrel rear hub on it, so I could swap this out if I could get ball-end spokes... I'll likely not bother though. This Corbin coaster brake has probably been on this bike since the teens. At the least, I would like to find a matching original pedal for the right side and a correct seat.

Dave,

The pedals are a one year only design, so they may be hard to find. A matched set of period correct pedals will look just fine. Here is a picture of the correct pedals. Notice that the cut outs on the sides are triangular shaped. In 1899 these slots where rectangular. Also for the seat I would just find a pre-TOC saddle of one of the makes listed in the 1900 catalog. I agree with you on the rear hub. I would not swap it out until you get ball end spokes in hand. These are real hard to find and very difficult to make.

Ross

1900.jpg

not sure these pedals were one year only???
those pedal are stamped Columbia on the center shaft on both side
they are a nightmare to remove from crank arm as they don't have a hex shape on the shaft, they can only be removed from the end with a flat head

are those your pedals high wheel? would like to see the actual shape of the pedal rubbers and metal holders

Last edited:
Back