When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1900 columbia shaft drive model 65alive once again after 70 yrs

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Got this awhile back from the owners who had it in a shed stowed away for over 70 yrs.. her husband stored it in hoping to put the rims back on it. they were ball end spokes and none around ..so there it sat until he passed...when I found it ...The rims were destroyed had some original

spokes but the bike was in amazing original condition.. I finally years later i collected the best spokes I could find and found a set of original toc rims off a columbia.the rims were always off the bike so no harm in using them.. the seat is super rare and full suspension type.now it's done complete and rideable. Got to say... the spokes are a pain but worth doing...
Heres some pics..

I assume the tires are 28" single tube type since the pictures of the rims in your first batch of pictures appear to be metal clad wood which would require single tube tires. I can't see in either of these 2 pictures any air valves so my conclusion is that the tires are solid or semi pneumatic type. I hoping you will post a response telling us exactly what type these tires are, who made them, where they are made, and where to purchase them. They do look very period correct and perfect on the Columbia Chainless.

These rims are all steel.. i have some wooden ones. They would need paint since these are orig columbia rims and really look great on it the choice was obvious ..The tires are a light weight solid core.. very rideable.. I have had them for a very long time I don't remember where i found them.. probably an estate sale in the late 90's.. . Haven't seen another pair or even a single one like it.They are a little bigger than regular tubeless 2" diameter.. ..Ill used them until i get some repops or originals. I have a set of 1900 grey tubeless that did come with the bike originally but they are hard flat used as as found purposes only at shows. Thanks for asking

These rims are all steel.. i have some wooden ones. They would need paint since these are orig columbia rims and really look great on it the choice was obvious ..The tires are a light weight solid core.. very rideable.. I have had them for a very long time I don't remember where i found them.. probably an estate sale in the late 90's.. . Haven't seen another pair or even a single one like it.They are a little bigger than regular tubeless 2" diameter.. ..Ill used them until i get some repops or originals. I have a set of 1900 grey tubeless that did come with the bike originally but they are hard flat used as as found purposes only at shows. Thanks for asking
Thanks for the prompt reply. There are smooth 28" single tube tires available in 'all black' or 'all white' from RD Tires in West Virginia - the successor to Harper Tires which were also based in West Virginia. The single tube 28" tires RD produces today are a vast improvement over the old Harper models which had to re-glued regulary to prevent the tire rotating on the rim and shearing off the valve stems. A minor negative with the new versions is that the additional material in the new versions are a bit heavier than the old Harpers. I've used both colors on my restorations however I find their white models are a bit "too white" so I've used mostly the black versions. The gray on your Columbia Chainless looks more authentiic, original, and period correct and that was the gist of my inquiry. My experience with the softer solid core re-pop tires is that they give a sort of "spongy" feel to the rider; kind of what you'd experience when riding with under inflated tires. The reproductions of the old Elizabethtown 28" tires that are made by Universal Tires today are solid, dense rubber which translate into a bone jarring ride which can result in failed frame weldments on rougher roads and trails and, in my view, should only be used as "display" tires; in that regard they are an exellent choice because the really do look near perfectly "period correct". As I'm sure you know finding just the right single tube tires for these beautiful old machines can be a frustrating experience. I'd guess there are a huge number of the bikes that require single tube tires that will remain stored in the barns, basement, and attics in our country because owners are at a loss finding rideable tires for them. Were I younger (and a lot wealthier) I'd seriously consider starting up a business that produced proper single tube tires in the sizes most sought after. Of course it would not be a very profitable venture, but then neither is restoring these old beauties which I am ever so fond of.

Got this awhile back from the owners who had it in a shed stowed away for over 70 yrs.. her husband stored it in hoping to put the rims back on it. they were ball end spokes and none around ..so there it sat until he passed...when I found it ...The rims were destroyed had some original View attachment 1130934

View attachment 1130935

View attachment 1130937

View attachment 1130940

View attachment 1130941

View attachment 1130942

View attachment 1130947

spokes but the bike was in amazing original condition.. I finally years later i collected the best spokes I could find and found a set of original toc rims off a columbia.the rims were always off the bike so no harm in using them.. the seat is super rare and full suspension type.now it's done complete and rideable. Got to say... the spokes are a pain but worth doing...
Heres some pics..

Here are a few pictures of a Columbia Model 65 Chainless that I restored 2 years ago. As-found a year before it had what I concluded to be its original wooden rims which were beyond any attempt to restore with servere warping and rot. I wish mine had been equiped with that wonderful seatpost and saddle on yours which I assume very likley was an option when yours was originally purchased. The chain-link tires on my restoration were NOS verions I purchased at the Trexlertown Swap meet a few years earlier and waited for the right bike to be their new home. The rear gear covers are originals - not the plastic replacements often found on on this model in the used market. Please understand that mine was in very rough condition and beyond any attemtp at conservation while yours, based on your pictures, was clearly too nice to messed with and a perfect choice to be conserved. Regarding your ball-end spokes, I believe you did the right thing in scavaging around and ultimately finding enough of them to lace up the rims. About 5 years ago I came across 3 sets of 72 - 12"' NOS ball end spokes 2 of which I used on restoration projects; the 3rd set I put up on Ebay with a starting bid of $25, after an incredible bidding war they sold for just over $800. I'd paid $75. for all 3. Sometimes one gets lucky, however I'll now have to be careful to avoid any old basket cases that require ball-end spokes.

DSCN2260 (1).jpg

DSCN2262 (1).jpg

DSCN2315.jpg

DSCN2280 (1).jpg

DSCN2275 (1).jpg

DSCN2268.jpg

DSCN2289 (1).jpg

DSCN2264.jpg

DSCN2288.jpg

DSCN2270 (1).jpg

DSCN2271 (1).jpg

DSCN2273 (1).jpg

Wow ..beautiful restoration.. i own a few done by others..i love the gold pinstripes set the bike off right.. yes spokes are tough to find I can see 800 for them all day long....thanks for the info on the rd tires. I do have a pair on my 1918 cyclo motor equipt columbia I really like them and couple pairs of solid tires; one set of solid smooth. I havent used them yet .. these tires are spongy but to tell the truth I don't ride them I just enjoy finding and preserving them.. I do love doing resto bikes and going to do a flying merkel in the future.. thanks for posting you bike. A beautiful example..

Back