When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901/2 Pierce Special

-
Here it is

C2BDD324-4A51-4092-8154-DCC18C1D5120.jpeg

FD6BE1E6-152C-4F98-BD0D-86A269871ACA.jpeg

Beautiful bike. Mine won’t be that nice but it is coming along. Finally got stem off, front hubs cleaned and rebuilt. Starting to take apart rear hub, will clean and then reassemble,

Anyone find a suitable replacement spring for the rear shock? In another post I’ve seen reference to the original spring being 6 inches long and 5/8 of an inch in diameter. What about spring rate? What lb per inch should it be? From the pieces of my original spring it seems like quite a stiff spring.

I took my rear triangle apart on a hunch and my hunch was right as the spring was broken into 8 pieces.

Anyone find a suitable replacement spring for the rear shock? In another post I’ve seen reference to the original spring being 6 inches long and 5/8 of an inch in diameter. What about spring rate? What lb per inch should it be? From the pieces of my original spring it seems like quite a stiff spring.

I took my rear triangle apart on a hunch and my hunch was right as the spring was broken into 8 pieces.

@David Brown

Hi Canuck

Some years ago I had about 2 dozen of the springs made up. I just let my last one go a year ago. I had them made at a spring shop. I had a lot of bikes at that time that used that spring and pretty well most where broken. Sold a lot over the years.

That spring sounds very much like a spring I pulled from a modern suspension seat post. I'll check it out when I go back to work on Monday if you like.

Interesting. I was actually looking at springs from Modern spring based suspension forks. What I could find were larger diameter than 5/8 and would not work. I had not though of the spring from a modern suspension seat post.

Another CABE member has actually very generously sent me a spare he had, but I think it makes sense for you to check out the spring from the seat post and post whether it looks like it will be an option for others. One thing I have learned from this post and the various private replies I have received, is that there is a need for a source for these springs.

My 1902 Pierce step through frame has been torn apart, cleaned and re greased annd now rebuilt. One fork leg was broken down by the axle and the other was cracked in same area. Had a friend who has a welder repair those areas. I had a set of Morrow hubs that I used to build a set of wheels so that I could use modern tires and take the bike for a spin.

The original cushion spring was broken into 8 pieces so was no use anymore. Thanks to gtdohn, who graciously provided advice on how I might locate a replacement, and then going above and beyond and sending me a spring he had and did not need. The spring fit perfectly and works flawlessly.

over time I will acquire some appropriate pedals, fenders, and anything else that makes it more original.

The ride is awkward and twitchy due to the steep angles of head tube and seat tube, combined with short wheelbase.

2BB3C867-DE3F-42AD-853D-14943DB54ADE.jpeg

Last edited:
My 1902 Pierce step through frame has been torn apart, cleaned and re greased annd now rebuilt. One fork leg was broken down by the axle and the other was cracked in same area. Had a friend who has a welder repair those areas. I had a set of Morrow hubs that I used to build a set of wheels so that I could use modern tires and take the bike for a spin.

The original cushion spring was broken into 8 pieces so was no use anymore. Thanks to gtdohn, who graciously provided advice on how I might locate a replacement, and then going above and beyond and sending me a spring he had and did not need. The spring fit perfectly and works flawlessly.

over time I will acquire something appropriate pedals, fenders, and anything else that makes it more original.

The ride is awkward and twitchy due to the steep angles of head tube and seat tube, combined with short wheelbase.

View attachment 1078527

If it is similar to the 1901, you only need the rear mudguard, and a chainguard.

1571077932291.png

over time I will acquire something appropriate pedals, fenders, and anything else that makes it more original.

View attachment 1078527
I need a couple of cushion coil springs, too.

6126C2EF-7A83-4A49-B511-FC9701EB440F.jpeg

896B7DB0-8186-42BF-9570-9BA0FC913C97.jpeg

Back