When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901 Columbia Steam powered bicycle

-

pkleppert

Finally riding a big boys bike
Anyone ever seen a 1901 Columbia steam powered bicycle? Anyone venture a guess on what it may be worth?

This picture was sent to me by an antique dealer who really doesn't know very much about old bicycles

20170814_113759[1].jpg

A gentleman by the name of Roper made one or more prior to 1900. I'm not sure if this is one of them. I was in contact with a guy from New Zeland who was making a replica. I will try and find his info.

I did find out that the steam engine was made by the White Motor Co. and it has been in a families basement for over 70 years.

That would make sense. White was founded in 1900 and made steam cars.

I would be interested in knowing if it ever was successfully run and what speeds it attained.

This looks like a static display from an engine show- that size boiler would not handle the cylinder under load very long- and yes their is a guy making a copy of the later Roper steam bicycle in Australia ....

General consensus is that this is a 1920's Columbia with an early White Motors esteam engine.
what a great bike to restore !! value? you would think $1000-$1500.?
I think we are on the same page. If for no other reason, it is a great display.

Back