When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901 Columbia Steam powered bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I wouldn't have any problem dropping 1500 on it that thing is super cool. Wait....Is that mushrooms growing on the rear wheel?

Last edited:
A gentleman by the name of Roper made one or more prior to 1900. I'm not sure if this is one of them. I was in contact with a guy from New Zeland who was making a replica. I will try and find his info.

A gentleman by the name of Roper made one or more prior to 1900. I'm not sure if this is one of them. I was in contact with a guy from New Zeland who was making a replica. I will try and find his info.

Hi Ken,
this is definitely not a Roper. This is a Rube Goldberg steam bike!
Myron

My site picture shows the 1894 Roper replica I made over a 4 year period. Rope's first bike from 1868-9 is in the Smithsonian. His 1894 bike, actually I believe 2 were made, one for Col. Pope as a pacing bike for the Columbia Racing Team and the other he kept. These were based on a 1894 Columbia Model 36.
stbike1a.jpg
2016-06-03 16.46.34.jpg
2016-07-02 14.03.07.jpg
This bike was very fast at over 40mph and the weigh was under 150 lbs ready to run! Mr. Columbia was a great help and I couldn't have built it without his help!

Back