When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1902 Cleveland Bicycle receipt and undated seat bag

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This catalog is a compilation of Pope products and was published for the 1900 Paris expo. It features the 84 which is a womens model, in text only. There is a view of what I believe is the womens mod 93 based on gearing features. Otherwise, visually there was probably not any glaring differences between the two models I would suspect. Bear in mind that by 1902 the 84 may not have been produced. This sale could have been a left-over or a used unit. A 1902 catalog would be helpful.
View attachment 1239029

View attachment 1239030

BTW, that beautiful bag is typical for a women's frame as the configuration was meant to fit into the nooks and crannies behind the head tube or under the saddle inside the rear triangle.
Thanks. Fascinating! Now the question is what woman this bike was bought for.

Here is an early shot of Santa Clara Valley riders from the Silicone Valley Bikes Festival website. They might have ridden with Miss Cottle. Those head badges are very similar to the shape of Cleveland head badges. You might want to contact who ever created their website and ask if they know the origins of this photo, it's a long shot but there might be more in the archives.
View attachment 1239228
Wow. Great photo. That’s late 1890s sleeves. They got a little outlandish around that time. I will definitely check with them to see if they have more pics.

Thanks. Fascinating! Now the question is what woman this bike was bought for.

Its difficult to say exactly who this bicycle was bought for. It may have been used by more than one family member. However....
At the time of sale, of the women in the household, Mother, Edith 68 yo, was born in April. Daughter, Leona 21 yo was born in August. Daughter, Maybella 20 yo was born in March. Youngest daughter, Ethel was born September 9, 1891.

Its not too unreasonable to speculate that this 22 inch frame Cleveland was purchased six days prior as a September 9th birthday gift for the eleven year old Ethel Cottle.

Now, to find that Cleveland. Owners, check your serial numbers!!!!!

Last edited:
View attachment 1238570

I'm collections manager for a historical park, and we have two bicycle-related items that I'm of course curious about, since I'm an avid cyclist. The bicycle receipt is self-explanatory. Unfortunately we don't have the bike. Does anybody have an image of a 1902 Cleveland model 84 and/or know more about it? I"m wondering if anyone would be able to date the seatbag or contents. Would that possibly be from the 1902 bike?

could we see a few more pics of the bag please?
it's a frame bag btw

Wow i could use it i have a cleveland shaft drive oops its mens but icould use the bag.. :0

Last edited:
Its difficult to say exactly who this bicycle was bought for. It may have been used by more than one family member. However....
At the time of sale, of the women in the household, Mother, Edith 68 yo, was born in April. Daughter, Leona 21 yo was born in August. Daughter, Maybella 20 yo was born in March. Youngest daughter, Ethel was born September 9, 1891.

Its not too unreasonable to speculate that this 22 inch frame Cleveland was purchased six days prior as a September 9th birthday gift for the eleven year old Ethel Cottle.

Now, to find that Cleveland. Owners, check your serial numbers!!!!!
Good research! That makes sense that it would have been Ethel, the baby of the family. She could have ridden it to Oak Grove School, which was about 2.5 miles away. We have her school picture from maybe a couple years earlier. Leona is actually Leora, and they called her Lely. Ethel is the one who decided the ranch should become a park, and her son Walter Cottle Lester, last in the line, was the donor c 40 years later.

Back