When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1902 Orient Leader Model 77

-

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
This bike was on its way to the Copake auction this year.....when I realized interception was an option though....I had to.

This 1902 Orient "semi-racer" has seen a partial "restore" to make it a rider. IE Stutzman rims, Harper tires, silver paint on the brightwork etc.
I call this bike a "semi-racer" but it was marketed alongside the Orient racer and the catalog clearly paints a picture of racers preference being key in their choice of frame.
I wager there are very few legitimate Orient frames that saw track time left on two wheels, this may well be one of them.

It looks like the front hub may be original, the brightwork appears that it will clean up nicely.
I will RE-un_REstore it, period rims, tires, spokes, remove the silver and see if there is any remnant of paint detail left or if it was just flat black anyway -

Based on the catalog image I tend to lean toward the suspicion the bars/stem are not original to the bike though some closer inspection is due, gotta look at those options closer.
To pick up in a week or so, I will post more pics as I make progress.

1902 Orient Leader As Found.jpg

1902 Orient Leader Badge.jpg

1902 Orient Leader Model 77 Catalog Page.jpg

So the bars mounted are def. a deeper drop and the stem appears to be a later one.
I have a nice set of short "bulldog" grips that will go with this bike ultimately, the search is on for a set of bars that compliment it just right.

1900 Orient Leader Bars.jpg

Very nice indeed! Are the crank arms 7 inch, or, the "optional" 6 1/2" (CTC) parts?? If the latter , I would most definately assume racer. Yes, the silver needs to go, and the correct bars would be nice, but I cant say anything terribly bad about the current wheelset. Looks very road worthy, and, bet it rides fantastic ! Please keep us posted,,,

Very nice indeed! Are the crank arms 7 inch, or, the "optional" 6 1/2" (CTC) parts?? If the latter , I would most definately assume racer. Yes, the silver needs to go, and the correct bars would be nice, but I cant say anything terribly bad about the current wheelset. Looks very road worthy, and, bet it rides fantastic ! Please keep us posted,,,

I'll know soon the details on options-
The rims are Stutzman and tires are harper, I wager it is rideable. I'll prob take it for a little loop if the tires are glued

Back