When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1903? IVEL , G.W. Shroyer & Co. , Dayton OH

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Kurt S.

Look Ma, No Hands!
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ivel-bicycle.84273/
The above is a terrific post started by "Flat Tire" a while back and wondering who made these bicycles.

Yesterday, while looking over some estate sales I came across this out of focus image ( with no description ) of what appeared as a cushion frame bicycle? Only an hour or so away & nothing better to do, I took a run over to see this bicycle for myself. Happy I did, the sellers took a fair-good offer from me.

Well this may prove to be the proverbial missing link, in our understandings of who actually made these Ivel bicycles for G.W. Shroyer & Co.. ( It took me a while to get a grip on the fact that this was not an English make of bicycle, kept thinking why the heck not.)

So this photo is what they had posted.....

from estate sale listing.jpg

So, who made this bicycle?

This is a Sager Double Flexible (Cushion) Frame, prior to Pierce & Hygenic taking over the Sager Gear Co. business interests during the late part of 1903.

I have only found in adverts that the Ivel began offering the cushion frame in 1903.

Lovely bike, what makes you say track racer though?
Im learning every day but I would be surprised to see a cushion on a track bike, seems it would only serve loss of momentum on a smooth flat surface?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is how they advertised it and what I understand so far is they offed the Track Racer which was a lightweight (for the time of course) , I weighed it in at just a fuzz under 28 lbs

The_Dayton_Herald_Thu__Mar_27__1902_GRAND OPENING & TRACK RACER.jpg

Yes, I think your correct. I was looking at another advertisement for the Ivel during 1903, they offered the Ivel motorcycle & four bicycles. A ladies model, a shaft drive, a track racer and a cushion frame. The advertisement print is terrible quality & can barely make out the bicycles.

None the less, it answered numerous questions.

I appreciate your observations Jessie, thanks.

The pedals I'm trying to identify, they are marked on the round cap. However, both have minor scuffs over the top word. There appear as two lines of text in bold stamping.

The last two letters of the first line are .....AL
the second line is D.S.M.C.

Back