When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1904 Morrow Hub Questions

-

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
The first picture is the hub brake CCM (Canada Cycle and Motor) was using in 1904, and probably for the next several years until they came out with their "Hercules" which I believe was a version based on the Morrow design. The early Hercules hubs were flawed in that the teeth for the forward drive mechanism were too small and became stripped smooth over time and stopped engaging.

When searching this site and Ebay I've been finding Morrow hubs from the 1930s that look very similar. I found a nickel plated hub from 1934 that looks basically the same (see below), although it looks like the edge near the arm is not raised as much (or at all?) as it is in the picture from the 1904 catalogue.

I have two questions please:
1) Were these early Morrow brakes flawed like the Hercules brakes were?
2) Until about what year did Morrow carry on with the 1904 design like the one in the first picture?
(If I can find an early one, I could use it on an early CCM)

FROM 1904:
CCM1904cat8a.jpg

MORROW FROM 1934:
MorrowHub1934.jpg

Thanks Mercian for the great link.

Here is a photo of the drive teeth on an early CCM Hercules hub brake. Is this similar to the early Morrows or did they have larger teeth? It's hard to tell from the diagrams.
HerculesHubDrive.jpg

I just recently installed an early Morrow on this 1918 Excelsior.
Unfortunately, I didn’t take any close ups of the script on the hubshell, but it had patent dates of 1904 and 1907 on it.
2DE29E9E-883F-4B74-B0AC-19D7A780696D.jpeg

During the service of the hub, I compared the internals with one of the later date coded models, and found them to be very similar, with only a few subtle changes.
The engagement teeth were more shark toothed in the later hub as opposed to the V shaped teeth of the earlier hub.
But, other that that, the parts appeared to be interchangeable.
The early hub has preformed well so far.
In fact, I’m so impressed with its performance compared to other Coaster brake hubs from the era, that I wouldn’t mind finding a few more of them.
So, if you’ve got any pre 1930 Morrow hubs available, let me know.
Sturdy, Sure!

Yes Dave, you're right! I made a mistake. I saw Morrow in the CCM catalogue and confused it with Musselman - the both start with an 'M'! That settles it then, the early Morrows did not have the same problem as the CCM hubs! Sorry about that.

p.s. This thread is still of value to me and I'm actually more interested in early Morrow hubs now since they could be a good replacement for worn out 1st gen Hercules hubs.

Last edited:
Back