When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1907 Iver Cushion Frame

-
Price
2000 + Ship
Zipcode

Kombicol

Finally riding a big boys bike
OK, I have had this bike for long enough without finishing it.
Regretfully I think it is time to pass it to someone who will.

Super rare Iver Johnson Dual Spring Cushion Frame. One of only 3 known I believe.
Here is a good threads discussing the design. So I will not go into it here.

Serial Number is 140414 which puts it 1907/8 by my reckoning.
The design of the crankset also narrows it down.

The details:

This bike is a project. It has a few issues.

Most of the paint is gone unfortunately.
The forks were bent, but I was able to get a perfect matching early fork in great condition from a parts bike which will be included - along with the original bent forks.
There are some dents/flattening both sides of the top tube where it joins to the truss bar and a small dent under the truss bar in the same area. I am thinking it is bar slap. The rest of the frame seems to be dent free.
One rear drop out is tweaked - presumably from installing the rear wheel without correct spacing.
The cushion mechanism has a little play in the linkages but still moves up and down nicely. The springs inside the tubes appear to be cracked/worn and will need to be replaced. The spring appears to be 1/2" OD and I was able to find a pretty close match in size at Century Spring Corp. (but did not order them yet).
There are a couple spots on the seat stays frame where the maniac welder hit it. Not sure what he was doing there. No obvious damage to repair. I think maybe where he had the earth clamp.
The crankset is a 2 year only design, and the set that came with it were really screwed with.
Cones were all broken, the pedals were welded on halfway up the cranks, and the adjuster screws were welded on.
That said, I think a good machinist might be able to fill in the grinding marks/undercut to restore the crank arms.
I have acquired a Lovell Crankset that is very similar to replace some of the damaged parts, but the frame is still short one good cup, and the new cone is cracked also - but perhaps usable (see pics). That said I do believe the cone from a standard Iver crank set could be modified to match by a good machinist.
The donor frame has the same cone design but I was unable to get the crank out of it with the tools available.
It may be possible to put together a good crankset with parts from all 3. Alternately I think a crank from a later frame will fit.

The donor truss frame is slightly twisted and has a sleeve brazed on the top tube.
I am thinking it had a motor or side car attached based on the hacks.

What is included:

Cushion frame with seatpost, good fork, headset and tensioners.
Original bent fork.
Pre 1921 badge and screws.
Both cranksets.
Iver Johnson Hubset with sprocket and lockring. Not the cones are chipped from some numpty tightening them up without the special washers present.
The original clincher style rims. These will need some talented work to revive.
The welded on pedals.
A set of Iver handlebars - note the original bars and stem were missing when I got it. These are some old bars I have laying about but they do have a tweak, though quite straightenable I think.
Enormous unknown sprung saddle.
Donor frame ~1908. Serial number 162001.
Seat post from donor frame.
Seat post cinch bolt from donor frame.

I am looking to get $2k plus shipping. It will be at least 2 boxes I suspect

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3333.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

Killer Machine!
If I didn't already have 10 projects in line I'd add this to the roster-

I will mention for you in case you decide to keep it or for any future buyer I do have an Iver proprietary re-enforced crown fork that would be very fitting for this project.

Back