When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1907 Iver Johnson "Truss Bridge Flyer" Uncovered in PA

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Handyman

I live for the CABE
This is a 1907ish Iver Johnson Model 88, 24" Men's "Truss Bridge Flyer" in Iver Johnson black with red spearpoint head.
The paint on this bike is preserved beautifully, although most of the nickel is covered with a thin coat of surface rust. I believe this
bike is 100% original in every way as it spent most all of its life in the attic of the family home of John A. Barger on Railroad Street in
Webster, PA. John A. Barger owned and operated a General Store in this small town. This home was passed on to the family through
the generations and the bike remained untouched, out of sight, and out of mind for almost 100 years. I acquired this bike after
receiving a call from a Woman who purchased the family's entire estate. The woman had reached out in hopes of finding a little
information about the Iver Johnson Cycles, and an approximate value. According to the heirs of the estate, Mr Barger thought, at one
point in time, about becoming a dealer in the Iver Johnson Cycles, and the estate contained a document (see below) attesting to this
fact. See More Pics At: http://boulderartgallery.com/Iver_Johnson_Bicycle_Collection/IverJohnson_Page_32.html

22.jpg

17.jpg

8.jpg

36.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

15.jpg

4.jpg

img021.jpg

I assume you're dating it based on the SN, but the letter—assuming the bicycle it references is this bicycle, though the description fits—is dated 1913 and the crank nut is on the non-drive side. I wonder if they would have had a stock of leftover frames they'd use for samples to prospective dealers to be built up later with the current components (it is a large frame, so maybe they weren't popular, though to have it sitting for six years seems like kind of a long time to me). Or maybe the crank nut thing is not an accurate dating method or they strangely used two types of cranks or it was swapped later (though, I think that's unlikely). A mystery, but a beautifully preserved bike.

You are exactly right Duchess....................the heirs to this estate claimed to the Woman who purchased the estate that this bike was the one that came from the J. A. Johnston Company that the great (great) grandfather sent for. However, as you mentioned, the features of the bike do not match the 1913 specs. I'm fairly confident that the bike has been untouched. Pete in Fitchburg

Wow beautiful bike! Paint looks incredible for being over 100 years old. Great find! Also is the fitchburg ride and swap still on for the end of june?

Should have included this pic earlier. Not only is the lock nut on the non-drive side of the BB, it also has the round hole where the pedal arm attaches to the chainring, not the mor common slotted or rectangular style. Pete in Fitchburg
61542320_2949044898469248_715865503716868096_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back