When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1908 Peerless rehabiliation

-

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked up this project a while back from a local member on RRB. It was destined to hang on a wall but thankfully he deemed it too cool to meet that fate. I'm determined to make a rider out of the sucker, knowing full well it be the most involved and most pricey project I've taken on. Not the most exotic of TOC bicycles, but it spoke to me.

Here it is when I got it home. Original paint is relatively intact. Tires are pretty good and matching. rear wheel was swapped for a coaster brake and clad wheel. Missing one grip and one pedal. Seat had good leather but was falling apart, wood pan had broken at the nose and most of the stitching was gone.

CqxONVr-1.jpg

My progress so far includes picking up a pair of pedals from Bricycle that match the one that was on there. I've also got a front hub coming from Bri to made the rider wheelset. I got a beautiful, original Peerless coaster hub from Willswares1220. A fixed wheel for the original wheelset from Bikewhorder. I bought a pair of 700c wood hoops from Noah Stutzman (aluminum lined ones were the same price, so I figured I couldn't go wrong there). Grabbed a pair of creme Amsterdam tires from McCaskey at the MLC meet. Just finished rehabbing the seat.

Quite a bit of work into the seat and I'm very happy with it overall. First step I started months ago was to pick up some Pecard's Antique leather dressing. They call it dressing but it really saps into the leather and works it back into usable condition. The color pulled out on the first application, but I applied often over a couple weeks to resuscitate the neglected 100 year old leather. Then I addressed the busted wood pan with some Elmer's wood glue max. This stuff is awesome. The nose is now rigid as if it had never been broken. Next, the demanding task of hand stitching all the missing seams. I bought a Speedy Stitcher sewing awl to replicate the lock stitches that were originally made. If I were to do it again, I would have pulled every stitch, but as it stands, I did about 2/3s in new thread. I was unable to do one corner because the leather on the underside had become brittle, so it was just tearing through in that corner. Luckily the rest was supple enough to stitch. Some look uneven because I couldn't always pull them tight due to the condition of the bottom leather. All things considered, it came out very well for being at its mercy.

Before:

iWNIbgx-1.jpg

After:

wC63EWd-1.jpg

qcPnNWr-1.jpg

4r5VsXZ-1.jpg

Next stop is to paint and antique the Stutzman wheels. The originals were painted black with a white skunk stripe in the middle and I will use this same scheme. Hence the decision for creme tires as much as I like black.

I picked up an old leather tool belt to use as donor leather that matches the tone of the existing grip very well. I have some veneer I will steam and wrap, then stitch together a matching glove grip, using the existing one as a template. If it matches well enough, I'll leave the original, or maybe just make a second one.

Then I can eventually get down to the bike itself.

Lookin' good. Nice job on that seat rehab, sewing leather is tedious enough when it's in pristine condition. Like the progress, I'm working on a similar one, good luck with it.

Impressive labor of love!! I imagine that you are getting that feeling of satisfaction starting right about now!

Very very nice..... I might steal some of those ideas and methods myself if you do not mind - great bike, cool project! Can't wait for the updates.

Rims: First step

So I mentioned the 700c wood clinchers from Noah Stutzman's wheel shop. I plan to paint them in the original scheme outlined in the catalog and still hanging on for dear life on the one original hoop on the bike. But, I plan to give them an appropriately aged look (of course I can't just make something nice).

I started yesterday with a technique I've done before for giving wood an antiquated look. Last time didn't work so well because it was a hard oak and the ingredients didn't take, but this time worked great with what I believe is hickory. This sounds involved but it's really less than an hour of total work time.

So here are the rims as received. Unfinished, bare wood with an aluminum liner inside for extra clinching strength:

9jduWpC-1.jpg

First step to giving them the dull, gray look of old wood is to brew some black tea. Brush it on the wood. The temperature doesn't matter. I did two tea applications just a few minutes apart. It gives an immediate honey tone to the wood (which disappears as it dries).

hHPcWzn-1.jpg

Next go find some old nails. Or anything steel or zinc coated steel seemed to work really well. Throw a chunk of steel wool in there for good measure. Then fill with some vinegar. I've read lidding it works best too. Leave it for a day or two, agitating occasionally. Then brush the vinegar concoction on the wood after the tea is on. It reacts with the tannin in the leaves and makes this glorious dull gray look. I plan to do a distressed paint job over this so the wood that ends up being exposed is of this antiqued tone. It wasn't completely dry at this point, so the dark grain will mellow a bit further.

Vinegar cocktail:

5HxQ0e4-1.jpg

Tada:

IA6JnMO-1.jpg

Does your badge have the PEERLESS on top and on bottom or does it have PEERLESS on top and PEERLESS CYCLE WORKS CHICAGO on the bottom? Just trying to figure out when they switched because as far as I know the later ones with the PEERLESS top and bottom were sold by Sears.
0426141033.jpg

I'm sure there is a date in time that Sears took over the Peerless name. Time for more research.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Back