When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1910 track bike found yesterday

-
Pierce Arrow Holland

Hi Guys ,
i am more on the balloontire side ,but i saw this nice Pierce Arrow here in
Holland (the Netherlands), can some tell me what's it worth and how old it is...
i have not the intention to buy it so just curiosity...;)
pierce1-1.jpg

pierce-1.jpg

pierce2-1.jpg

The bike is one of the Pierce badged bikes made by the Emblem Manufacturing Company of Angola New York. They purchased the name from the original manufacturers in the teens and produced bikes branded with that badge (and others, including Emblem) into the mid 1930's I would guess the bike is from the mid twenties through the early thirties and the same frame was offered in balloon tire form from about 1934 until the company closed its doors (about 1936)

I would say the Pierce badge has a cachet that attracts people and probably makes the bike worth more than the same bike with another badge but ultimately the bike is probably worth about the same as a similar Schwinn in similar condition but will be sought by a smaller group of collectors.

The bike is one of the Pierce badged bikes made by the Emblem Manufacturing Company of Angola New York. They purchased the name from the original manufacturers in the teens and produced bikes branded with that badge (and others, including Emblem) into the mid 1930's I would guess the bike is from the mid twenties through the early thirties and the same frame was offered in balloon tire form from about 1934 until the company closed its doors (about 1936)

I would say the Pierce badge has a cachet that attracts people and probably makes the bike worth more than the same bike with another badge but ultimately the bike is probably worth about the same as a similar Schwinn in similar condition but will be sought by a smaller group of collectors.

thanks Phil!
the wheels are 26 inch , it is a nice bike , it was just strange to find these bikes here in holland.....

At least Holland is nice and flat, so pedaling a bike like that wouldn't be too much of an ordeal! Do yo think it was imported when it was new, or was it brought over later by a collector? Since it has a US style 6 volt battery can I suspect the latter. Did Dutch bikes us 6 volt lights in the 1930's? I'm more familiar with French bikes, and they used either a generator or a 4.5 volt battery. Very neat bike, especially so far from home.

If the bike is currently sitting on 26" wheels than I assume they are European wheels and the bike probably originally was supplied with 26" Balloon wheels. In that case then the time frame for production is narrowed to about 1934-36.

Very few bikes were exported from the U.S. directly for original sale at that time so it is more likely it was expatriated later by an owner rather than a distributor.

Nice bike! Anyone knows where bikes like this can be seen/bought?

Hey, I am looking for a antique track bike... or a rebuild.. anyone knows where I can found one? I am from Belgium, but I am open for a transatlantic buy... ;) regards

Back