When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1910 Vega Path Racer Project

-

Halfdan

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi!

I bought a bike in poor state the other week, a Swedish built Vega from circa 1910.

Initially, I gave it a gently scrub and sealed the surface with a layer of matte clear coat. So far I've only overhauled the headset, changed stem, handlebar and saddle. Next up is rebuilding the wheels with new spokes. I'm missing the hardest part: the skip tooth chain, but that is a later concern.

Best regards

/ Halfdan

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

If its a standard 1" pitch chain those aren't hard to come by. On this side of the pond anyway!
Yes, it's a standard 1" pitch chain. Here in Sweden they are pretty hard to get hold on these days - and expensive.

I like it! The three crowns are a nice touch. I have achieved a realistic looking patina by boiling brass is a saturated solution of sodium bicarbonate (bikarbonat) and potassium chloride (salt substitute from the grocery store in the US).

Wow, that's a very nice patina you have achieved, Andrew! I didn't know that you could patinate using sodium bicarbonate and potassium chloride? I have only heard of vinegar, ammonia, liver of sulphur etcetera. Are the fumes very smelly when boiling it? You can do it in the kitchen without risk for strong fumes? I would very much appreciate if you let me know how to do it properly.

Thanks!

I did it on the kitchen stove, although I think my wife was out of the house. Not smelly at all, but it did take a while. I don't remember just what proportions I used, but it was mostly Bicarbonate. I added more until no more would dissolve. Let me try to find a recipe!

I did it on the kitchen stove, although I think my wife was out of the house. Not smelly at all, but it did take a while. I don't remember just what proportions I used, but it was mostly Bicarbonate. I added more until no more would dissolve. Let me try to find a recipe!
That's great news - thanks a lot! I already have bicarbonate at home, but had to order potassium chloride online. Thank you so much! Cheers!

Back