When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Dayton Motor Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
WOW!! just awesome. Very cool me likey!!!! where did you find the engine????

I havent tried a single tube tire as I dont have one but I think it would be too narrow and probably would take the abuse of a driven wheel. The motor was actually given to me by a friend a long time ago when he found it under his house. Then last year I bought another motor and the wheel from someone who found my website. There is more information there if anyone is interested in Dayton Motor Bicycles. http://oldbike.homestead.com/

Looks a lot like a Smith motor wheel. a foreunner of Briggs. On them, the wheel drove off a strong cam shaft with a 8 to 1 ratio and 4 lobes for exhaust. intake was worked by a very weak spring and atmosphere pressure.
I make 28 x 1 1/2 , 28 x 1 3/4 and 28 x 2 1/2. Rim size would help make a detumination of size and curve of rim.
If interested,
[email protected]

I am going out of town. answer machine message to 304-722-3115

or

Robert Dean
628 Jefferson Street
Saint Albans,WV 25177

I'm still looking for parts including the front 24 x 2.0 tire.

Awesome ride! Great piece of engineering history there.

Are you looking for a period tire, or just to roll and hold air? I like the Odyssey Mike Aitken P-Lyte Tire. It comes 24x2.25 and the tread, although modern, doesn't stand out like a Maxxix hookworm tire would. It's says on the tire "Designed in Salt Lake City & made in China" which I thought was kinda funny to put that on there. Mike Aitken hails from Salt Lake City b.t.w.

Are you gonna keep that sweet Troxel on her? I am looking for that style saddle for one of my projects. Looks later than 1915.

Here's a link to the tire. It comes in tan wall, red wall or all black.

http://www.odysseybmx.com/catalog/tires/aitken-tire/

The tire does not have to be period, just something that fits. A 24 x 2.25 bicycle tire will not fit, the diameter is too small to fit over the rim. I am not stuck on that saddle, I just used it because I had nothing else. To reply to Robert Dean, My motorwheel was made by Smith but used a larger rim that calls for a 24 x 2.0 tire, the tire will have a hooked bead not a single tube.

sounds like you need a fuji roadster tire.Japan made 24" rod brake roadsters ---their tires were in the 1.75 to 2" witdth and rim size was an odd size--I think a bit larger than our american 24" size.Have you tryed the schwinn 24" (thin) tires to see if they fit?Even if they are too narrow it would give you something to go by.

Back