When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Flying Merkel 400 scout

-
very good work
please document the next faux restoration, the end result is stunning (especially when seeing with what you started with)

how long did the whole process take from start to finish?
how come you didn't use the crank and sprocket that were on the frame when found? was is the wrong parts? (I don't know anything about this model)

It probably took about a month to do the paint…it is a lot of sanding…with fine grit. If I buy a rusty frame I usually have to find all new nickel parts for the entire bicycle. The bicycle was probably a Racycle not a merkel to start with. I had already had the merkel chainring in better condition. These frames are not the easiest thing to track down. I figured if I have to put together the whole bike, I should just make it my dream bike. I have long looked at that ad for the 400 scout, and never seen a real one. Seemed like a worthwhile transformation.

This thread will probably attract a few more eyes in the future, so it may be a good place for another wanted poster.
Glenn/Goldenindian, is and will probably always be looking for this hub.
So, let him know, if you ever come across one for sale.
Sorry for the fuzzy print.
It’s a bad copy of a bad copy that was poorly copied.
Killer bike Glenn!
I wish you the best of luck on finding one of these oddball hubs.

At least this photo proves that one of them actually exists.
And it’s sitting on a postal box!
It would be so easy to pack it up, and send it to Glenn.😁

This thread will probably attract a few more eyes in the future, so it may be a good place for another wanted poster.
Glenn/Goldenindian, is and will probably always be looking for this hub.
So, let him know, if you ever come across one for sale.
Sorry for the fuzzy print.
It’s a bad copy of a bad copy that was poorly copied.
Killer bike Glenn!
I wish you the best of luck on finding one of these oddball hubs.
View attachment 1454548
View attachment 1454549
View attachment 1454550
At least this photo proves that one of them actually exists.
And it’s sitting on a postal box!
It would be so easy to pack it up, and send it to Glenn.😁
Thanks Marty! Been looking…

Very nice work! I love doing faux patina work, sometimes it’s necessary if you are missing one or all of the correct paint parts! Could we see some close ups of some of the “patina” ? Again, it’s gorgeous! Great work dude!

I can't stop going back to look again and again.

Sorry if I'm being a pest but I have to ask. Did you spray over the rust and crust after cleaning up the frame and then work backwards for the patina? I built a lot of plastic WWII and WWI plane and tank models when I was young and was always trying to get that worn and weathered patina. You could match that mudguard shot next to my Pierce's mudguard and I bet only a handful of people would ever know this was not the original 100+ year old paint!

Back