When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Iver Johnson Model 90B Chater Lea Racer - Recently Discovered

-
Torrington Star Rat Traps

I’ve located a couple of sets of very nice Torrington “Star” Rat Traps for the project, but I’m on the fence as to whether I should have a pair of these re-nickeled or buy a set of the Mike Cates repops? Either way would work for me.

Torrington Stars.jpg

I’ve located a couple of sets of very nice Torrington “Star” Rat Traps for the project, but I’m on the fence as to whether I should have a pair of these re-nickeled or buy a set of the Mike Cates repops? Either way would work for me.

What a score on this Iver, Handyman.

I posted a wanted thread for some rat traps just moments ago. Should you ever decide to let one of these sets go, please shoot me a pm. Thanks.

Hi boardhoarder,
Thanks for your comment on the Iver........................both of these sets of Rat Traps are targeted towards projects I currently have going on. I do have another slightly different looking set that I may not need but a lot depends on what direction I take with that bike. I'll keep you in mind, if that set becomes available. Pete in Fitchburg

Hi boardhoarder,
Thanks for your comment on the Iver........................both of these sets of Rat Traps are targeted towards projects I currently have going on. I do have another slightly different looking set that I may not need but a lot depends on what direction I take with that bike. I'll keep you in mind, if that set becomes available. Pete in Fitchburg

Thanks much, Pete. I appreciate it!

Fairbanks Boston Racing Wheels

I was lucky enough to find this gorgeous NOS set of natural finish, 28” 36 x 36 spoke, “Fairbanks Boston” laminated wood racing wheels. These wheels have the high “V” profile as used on the Iver Johnson 90A and 90B racers. They are so nice I almost hate to use them !! If I decide to use Iver Johnson hubs with this restoration, these are the wheels I will use. However, I have a set of Chater Lea hubs that I could also use and the bike would then have a full set of Chater Lea components. Either set of hubs would be correct as the 1915 catalog lists the 90B Chater Lea racer as having the same hubs (Iver Johnson) as the 90A, with the Chater Lea hubs a $2.50 option. The Chater Lea hubs, however, are 40 x 32 spoke which presents a new problem.

Wheels 1.jpg

Wheel 2.jpg

Wheels3.jpg

Here's your last look before dis-assembly and bringing it back to life.

Attachments

• IMG_7156.jpg
    IMG_7156.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_7152.jpg
    IMG_7152.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 229
This restoration will involve several challenges. One of them is the replication of the Iver Johnson “Special Racer” script and the double “hair line” pinstriping. Fortunately, this incredible 1912 Iver Johnson Special Racer owned by Duchess, is in great condition and these features are well preserved. We hope to use his bike, shown below, as a guide when we get to that stage.

Duchess SR Pic.jpg

I made a tracing of the "Special Racer" script on clear plastic. Since it was difficult to trace it completely perfect, I'm going to transfer it to paper and clean it up a little. I tried my best to trace along the outside, so the contrasting outline would reside within the body of the tracing. Whatever it might end up being off by in the end will be impossible to discern without overlaying on top of the original. Gus may be willing to remake these as there's some interest in them, but I don't want to speak for him and say it's a sure thing. If not, there's a guy on ebay who I bought some Iver Johnson decals off of (he even did the outline in black as a special request) who could be asked if he's interested, and I'm sure there are others, as well. It'll get done.

I have The black, The Red, the Trust the Truss, PAT OFF on and Pat OFF off. Will be doing the Special Racer and whichever other Iver Johnson decals that I can find to put in my antique bike decal collection. Of course, looking forward to print some for this Happy group of Iver Johnson fans.

Gus

Back