When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Iver Johnson Model 90B Chater Lea Racer - Recently Discovered

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I made a tracing of the "Special Racer" script on clear plastic. Since it was difficult to trace it completely perfect, I'm going to transfer it to paper and clean it up a little. I tried my best to trace along the outside, so the contrasting outline would reside within the body of the tracing. Whatever it might end up being off by in the end will be impossible to discern without overlaying on top of the original. Gus may be willing to remake these as there's some interest in them, but I don't want to speak for him and say it's a sure thing. If not, there's a guy on ebay who I bought some Iver Johnson decals off of (he even did the outline in black as a special request) who could be asked if he's interested, and I'm sure there are others, as well. It'll get done.

I rather work with the inner outline than the outer, but having that situation only makes it better. More challenging. ( I never let a graphic program do a stroke for me as the original artwork was mostly hand trace, in the same order, i would have to do both, inner and outer) might not be a bad idea if you trace the inner also.

Gus

Chater Lea Hubs

1915 was the first year Iver Johnson offered the model 90B “Chater Lea” racer. According to the 1915 catalog the only difference between the 90A and the 90B was the addition of a Chater Lea bottom bracket. For an additional $2.50, you could add the Chater Lea hubs. I was lucky to acquire a set of Chater Lea hubs that came directly from the Iver Johnson factory when it closed its doors and I think this racer deserves them. However, because they are 40 x 32 hole………………a new search is now on for the proper wheels.

DSC02813.jpg

DSC02819.jpg

SPECIAL RACER ARTWORK by "GUS"

Talk about perfect timing!! One of the roadblocks in the restoration of this racer was recreating the “Special Racer” artwork as there was just nothing available. Scott (Ivrjhnsn) and I had talked about tackling the job and were heading in that direction, but almost as if we placed an order, along come these. I received my “Special Racer” water slide decals recently from “Gus” and I have to say I’m totally impressed. The high quality and detail of these reproductions is absolutely outstanding. I held the decal up to an original “Special Racer” script I have on another Iver and it is really right on!! 1915 was the first year Iver Johnson offered the Chater Lea racer, so I think it’s quite appropriate that this bike receive the “first” Special Racer decal !!

Special Racer.jpg

Reactions: s1b
Thank you for the nice words, I am really flattered.

Part of the joy of doing these decals is to hear the rewarding words of a satisfied user, Those are the exact words that inspire me to help others that are struggling with Original-Indentical restoration / reproduction of this unique images.

Gus

Last edited:
Early Chater Lea Chainring Found

I was quite lucky to locate an early Chater Lea chainring as seen on the early Iver Johnson model 90B Chater Lea racers. I had planned to use the familiar “CL” chainring until I could find the more correct one and it came along sooner than I thought. Scott has sent the parts out to be nickel plated and I believe it will look absolutely awesome on the bike.

DSC03932.jpg

DSC03931.jpg

Make sure you send it out to a shop, like the one I found, that will re-engrave the script.
Otherwise it will look polished away.
The shop I recommend, is the oldest plater on the west coast.
They only plate small items, like your chainring.

As The Restoration continues, So do the Days of Our Lives

Well,,,plating is DONE! Teaser pics. Time for paint.

Attachments

• IMG_7644.JPG
    IMG_7644.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_7643.jpg
    IMG_7643.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_7642.jpg
    IMG_7642.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 271
The parts look absolutely awesome Scott. I really like the look of that Major Taylor Stem. I'll get the wheels to you soon so you can begin to lace the Iver hubs to them. Pete in Fitchburg

Back