When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Mead Crusader “The Road to Rideable”

-
you can get ball bearings through ebay and amazon as well.

for example

1662416022906.png

I was also searching Amazon just the other day, seemed like they had every size to the tenth of a millimeter; (e.g., 4.7, 4.8mm), and I was not sure which one was a nominal 3/16”.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/s...number-of-balls-per-race-used-toc-era.212182/

The fork, headset, and stem, kind of all just look earlier than 1915, for a Mead Crusader?
I’m not sure. 1915 is just an estimate that me and another Caber came up with. I highly doubt that the headset and fork was changed…

I’m not sure. 1915 is just an estimate that me and another Caber came up with. I highly doubt that the headset and fork was changed…
When I see two sets of top races, I would wonder why; maybe just missing a hex nut (make-do substitute), or maybe the cap would not tighten all of the way?
Any serial numbers stamped on the bottom bracket crank hanger?

Last edited:
When I see two sets of top races, I would wonder why; maybe just missing a hex nut (make-do substitute), or maybe the cap would not tighten all of the way?
Any serial numbers stamped on the bottom bracket crank hanger?
The threads on the second(I believe incorrect) race doesn’t fit the fork. It also was too thick, not allowing the cap to tighten down all the way and pinch the stem as it is supposed to do.

The serial number is hand stamped but well done and clear. 700589

2DB2E266-32B0-4EE2-A9D9-6DBC44755266.jpeg

FF9D4083-CC6F-4106-92E6-3ED2F2696434.jpeg

Serial number 700,589 is close to Lee Miller’s Mead Crusader (693,365), and Jose Huerta’s Mead Crusader (911,002).
The later was thought by some to be A&S-built; (forks look different though).

Almost forgot, I saw a 1912-14 New York Sporting Goods catalog that showed some old pedals with 3 triangles, and 4 sets of three teeth identified as “Expert” pedals.

Last edited:
Back