When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Sears Chief - The Orange Chief changes hands - my new project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Gary Mc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Just got one of the top bicycles on my Top 5 wanted list, a 1915 Sears Chief thanks to Bricycle. Have to say thanks to Bri again for selling this bike to me and the great packaging job. Ever since RRB member "backpedaler" brought this bike to the surface in February 2012 (before Bri bought it) I had been wanting to see what's under that orange paint, now I'm getting my chance finally up close & personal. Here's an old pic of the Chief together & packed for shipping to me.

DSC02677_zps011d27ae-1.jpg

DSC02058_zps05a6d3f2-1.jpg

Here's the first peek under the orange paint, dark red & ivory are still there but there is a good deal of missing paint. The ivory paint looks pretty amazing. The black pinstripes were there but will be lost getting the orange paint off. This orange paint may be the toughest paint I've ever seen. Xylene does absolutely nothing to it so I am having to use lacquer thinner very slowly so getting all the orange off is going to be a long slow careful process. Where I go from here depends on how much paint is there & how it looks. Not worried about the pinstripes they'll be reapplied & distressed to match the original paint for now. I would prefer to leave it original paint, put it back together & ride it, but if not enough paint is still on the bike it'll become a full restoration project which is not my first choice on any bike.

IMG_1948_zps88b97caf-1.jpg

IMG_1951_zpsd2e3935e-1.jpg

IMG_1952_zpsc3309743-1.jpg

IMG_1954_zpsad6ebb91-1.jpg

Bought the correct Sturmey Archer Tricoaster hub and shifter from CABE member mcdillis a couple of weeks ago so it will go back with the correct hubs. It's a little rough & needs a rebuild but it's all there minus the indicator rod & chain coupling. Came off a 1916 Chief.

IMG_1958_zps9c23d62d-1.jpg

IMG_1962_zps0155dc42-1.jpg

Here's two accessories I bought last year waiting for a 1915 Chief to come along. 1915 Vesta Accumulator Light & canister and a 1915 Illinois bicycle license. Finally have something to use them on.

IMG_1398_zps5dcd4856-1.jpg

IMG_1966_zpsf636eee1-1.jpg

This bike will get 700c rims and cream Electra Amsterdams, already on order to make it a rider. Front hub will be a New Departure Model M and I already have a NOS one I bought off ebay from nostalgicdave. The only other items that will go on the bike will be leather grips already bought off a teens Westfield in decent condition last year & still need to find a Klaxon horn and maybe one day original Chief pedals. Hopefully I'll get to work on orange paint removal over the weekend.

Looking good Gary, paint looks good under so far... I know its gone to a caring home!!

Last edited:
!!!

Nice score Gary. I cant wait to see this bike all done, Im jealous of the build already!

Congrats Gary. Looking forward to seeing more paint revealed... and the BUILD!

Chris

Nice find !

LOOKING GOOD SO FAR !!!!
It's fun to see what's under a layer of ugly paint and having an eye for detail.
With your PATIENCE and SKILL you'll have an interesting bike in your collection.
I also look forward to seeing it completed!

Now you have one more restoration "under way!!!"

Good luck with it Gary, it's in caring hands....

Back