When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Sears Chief - The Orange Chief changes hands - my new project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Feedback!

Hey Guys,,,, Did Sears Built the Chief then went to the Elgin Moto? When??? Because It looks like my Elgin as far as Frame, Seat, Handlebar, everything but he Badge!!!!!!

Feedback Please???

Thanks!:o

carlitos... pics please.
As early as 1915, Sears and Roebuck built the Chief and Napoleon. Not positive when the same framed Elgin appeared. Never seen an Elgin with the shallow fenders of 1915 thru 1917 tho.

Hey Guys,,,, Did Sears Built the Chief then went to the Elgin Moto? When??? Because It looks like my Elgin as far as Frame, Seat, Handlebar, everything but he Badge!!!!!!

Feedback Please???

Thanks!:o

In seriousness, Chief was first 1915-1919, then 1920&21 Elgin Moto that has the Chief features just different badge.
Can you post a couple pics.

Elgin actually made all bikes between 1915 and 1922:rolleyes:

Ivo, I think you meant Davis Sewing Machine Co. actually made all bikes between 1915 and 1922??????

Elgin made those too, OK maybe not All, but definitely the Meads and Harleys...ya that's it:eek:

Last edited:
My Elgin just Like the Chief????

View attachment 88958

:o:o:o:o:o:o:
$T2eC16F,!)8E9s4l57YbBRIT3t(1vw~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16F,!)8E9s4l57YbBRIT3t(1vw~~60_57.jpg

Doesn't it Looks the Same????? That is my Elgin, I only changed the tires to 700x32 so I'm riding it now!

Feedback Please, because I'm trying to Date mine! I think it's 1910s???

Thanks!

I would say late teens to early twenties. The motorbike style made their debut around 1914-15. Chief's were offered by Sears as was Elgin branded bikes. Excelsior Cycle Co is a prime suspect for manufacturer, but I would caution that there are many other suspects that could have been part of assembling these machines... Davis Sewing Machine and Westfield Mfg were sourced by Sears also.

View attachment 88958

:o:o:o:o:o:o:View attachment 88959View attachment 88959
Doesn't it Looks the Same????? That is my Elgin, I only changed the tires to 700x32 so I'm riding it now!

Thanks!

Your bike looks 23/24 based on paint scheme, yes it is similar to the Chief. From what I see, the only component of your ride that is close to Chief is the saddle. There are differences in the stand, neck, bars, grips, chainring. I would lean to Excelsior built Elgin badged moto jamma.
Nice ride!!

some elgins were painted the same as chiefs.they just had different part offerings than what were exclusive to the chief.

some elgins were painted the same as chiefs.they just had different part offerings than what were exclusive to the chief.

Carlitos, Here's a later Chief (1917 or later) on left & an Elgin on right to show how similar the paint schemes were as Dave says. I believe this Elgin is early 20's, similar to yours. Paint scheme & 28" wheels are about all they have in common though. Different manufacturers made these bikes. Your saddle does look like the Troxel Tru-Form, which was used on Chiefs although most Chiefs say "Chief" & not "Troxel" on the sides. I don't have the catalogs to be sure but the Chiefs were manufactured/sold through 1920/21 & I believe the Elgins' with the same paint followed them around 1920/21 for a few years. Need someone with catalogs for those years to confirm.

71678_126746877382579_2314704_n.jpg
e1.jpg

Back