When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 to 1919 Sears Chief - Documentation & Bike Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Early Chief photo from Dave's Nostalgic.net

Early Chief photo from Dave's Vintage Bicycles, Nostalgic.net

http://www.nostalgic.net/1910s-sears-chief

photopunkkidwithhisSearsChief_zps878c782-1.jpg

Need 1916 Sears Chief ad

1917 ads updated in Post #4 & 1919 ad added to Post #6, both courtesy of Balloontyre.

Does anyone have a good copy of the 1916 catalog Sears Chief ad they can add to this thread????

1916 Chief

I don't remember where I captured this page.
Someone else had overlaid the yellow "1916" so I don't claim that it is definitive.
But it seems plausible and likely, since the price is shown as $34.95.

1915 = $31.45
1916 = $34.95
1917 = $39.95

1916Searschief_zps7e5ad9bf-1.jpg

More year identifying tricks?
I noticed that there seems to be some slight frame changes after 1915/6. For 1915/6, the pulley for the 3 speed cable is mounted on the top bar, and the top and bottom bars appear to be parallel. For 1917 on, the pulley is shown on the seat post mast, and the top and bottom bars are no longer appear to be parallel, as the point where the lower bar meets the seat post mast appears to have been lowered. Did complaints about trousers catching on the pulley lead to a frame modification? Also, in the 1917-18 ads, the red darts on the seat post mast appear to have been lengthened and reduced from one on each side to one in the front. The 1920 paint scheme seems to keep the darts longer but return to side by side darts...

1915searschief_zpscf3a2d5a-1.jpg

1917SearsChief_zps6d8abd87-1.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have a photo or the Chief bicycle with the bars close on the seat post tube like the 1915 add?
I have a 1916 and the bars are farther apart,pulley between.Just a thought but maybe add drawing does not match the actual bicycle,that happened a lot, and used same add for 1916

1916 full page ad, note the locking dropstand same as 1915 also.

"Master Stand" from 1913 accessories pages.

Does anyone have a photo or the Chief bicycle with the bars close on the seat post tube like the 1915 add?
I have a 1916 and the bars are farther apart,pulley between.Just a thought but maybe add drawing does not match the actual bicycle,that happened a lot, and used same add for 1916

To my knowledge, they were always like the 1917 ad, never almost touching.

Back