When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 to 1919 Sears Chief - Documentation & Bike Thread

-
it does seem high,its a 3-speed missing the shifter.i think it will still sell.

I guess it would help to see more of them sell. Just comparing to other high end bikes and the prices they seem to not sell for. I have seen them sell in that range but unfortunately in parts. I would think there would be nicer ones out there for the price, start shopping around and spend my cash best possible.

looks to me the 3 speed hub is gone, the tire difference blackwall instead of whitewall. and I also think the rear sprocket looks to small for the 3 speed.

Nick.

it does seem high,its a 3-speed missing the shifter.i think it will still sell.

Have a picture of it at home now. Looks like a few parts are shot, bars, cranks and the drive side chainstay. I can replace the chainstay and use the bars to build another set. There is not much more than a shadow of paint so it will need paint, a headbadge as well as some other stuff to make it a great rider. My vote is too rough to just clean up. It will need much less work than my van sitting behind it.
0109141929.jpg

0109141929.jpg

rustyspoke66 ... do an in-house search for Chief Emblem ... started by fellow CABEr .. jtoliver ...

The badge he found with his metal detector looks like it was the actual badge that used to be on your Chief bicycle.

Now, if you have time or tolerance for an opinion ... and this is ONLY an opinion ...

>>>>> DIS-ASSEMBLE EVERYTHING THAT ADDS CHARACTER TO THE BIG PICTURE.

>>>>> STRAIGHTEN THE PORT TRUSS ROD. Holy Crap .. that is very distracting .. sorta like that mole on Sarah Jessica Parker's chin .. Aarrrrgh ...

>>>>> GENTLY MEDIA BLAST ( walnut shells ?) EVERYTHING TO REMOVE THE FLAKING and LOOSE CRUST.

>>>>> CLEAN WITH LACQUER THINNER.

>>>>> CONSIDER A CHEMICAL-OXIDATION PROCESS. ......... Dial-In the overall character by eliminating the bright rust ...

............ and enhancing a plum-brown patina ... via BIRCHWOOD CASEY -- Plum Brown Finish .. (google)

>>>>> SEAL IT UP WITH KRYLON MATTE SPRAY FINISH.

Enjoy Your Find As A Preserved Relic .. because that's what it aspires to be. ( Another one of those damn opinions ... )

................. patric

DSCN1592 ... jtoliver.jpg

blog171209_sjp.jpg
plum-brown-group.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Have Used This Stuff For Years ...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

single_krylon-matte-finish.jpg

single_krylon-matte-finish.jpg

plum-brown-group.jpg

blog171209_sjp.jpg

DSCN1592 ... jtoliver.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like this thread would be a good candidate for an article? Also the Harley bikes would be a good topic as well. Just a thought! V/r Shawn

Have a picture of it at home now. Looks like a few parts are shot, bars, cranks and the drive side chainstay. I can replace the chainstay and use the bars to build another set. There is not much more than a shadow of paint so it will need paint, a headbadge as well as some other stuff to make it a great rider. My vote is too rough to just clean up. It will need much less work than my van sitting behind it.
View attachment 131671

Looks like the undercoat is white on the fenders, can you post a closer pic please.

Some great ideas for a rebuild. I haven't made up my mind on direction yet but if I could get a nice crusty badge like that it could sway me that direction. I will post some close up pictures later. The handlebars are rotted through and would likely brake off in your hands. I will also need to replace the chainstay on the drive side for the same rust issue. As far as the white on the fender it does look like a white undercoat but I will post more pictures.

Back