When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 to 1919 Sears Chief - Documentation & Bike Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Finally got around to taking more pictures of the damage to the frame and the serial number. The handle bars are rotted through on the right side down into the first bend and the drive side chainstay will need to be replaced.
SH106217.jpg
SH106220.jpg
SH106222.jpg

Sears Chief Update

I got around to putting the Sears Chief rider together. It looks a little more presentable then when I first got it. It still requires a few things needed to complete it, but should be a fun daily rider.

I would really like a Merkel bicycle frame instead and/or other Merkel/ Flying Merkel related items. So.... If anyone has one, I'd offer this up as an option or cash. Email me at [email protected]

If not it will still be fun to ride around on and look good in the back of the Model A truck.

Anyone have an idea of the year of this Chief based off of the frame style?

Thanks,
Dave

100_6501.jpg

100_6500.jpg

100_6503.jpg

100_6502.jpg

100_6483.jpg

Last edited:
Chief Serial numbers

Thank you Dave.

I believe there is a small 7 stamped in the middle on the bottom of the crank housing, and near the edge it is stamped 165863.

Last edited:
Excellent info

I'm restoring a Chief and this info will help. Any idea on the paint color names pictured in the ad for my project.

I'm restoring a Chief and this info will help. Any idea on the paint color names pictured in the ad for my project.

The catalog says Cherry Red and Ivory. I'm working on a color match from a original bike a friend has. Here are the 1919 specs.
Chief description.jpg

So My Chief showed up and now it's time to get busy. I uncovered more of the bottom bracket to find temporarily confusing numbers. After looking at it for a minute I noticed the upside down V with no other numbers besides the serial. Looks like its a 1915 and the fenders and badge line up with that as well. One more confusing thing after reading this thread is the rear hub. It looks as though there was never a shifter or pulley mounted to the frame and the New Departure Model A is laced up in the correct rim. So could this have been a one speed coaster model not mentioned in the catalog?
CHIEF 002.jpg
CHIEF 025.jpg
SH106469.jpg

CHIEF 002.jpg

CHIEF 025.jpg

SH106469.jpg

Back