When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916 Mead Cycle Truck

-
Hey chitown I like your research. Whats the weather like in Chicago? I lived in Chicago for 10 years. Lakeview east Clark and Diversey.

it looks cool, but the box moves with the wheel. i would not like to ride that bike with a load.

Hey chitown I like your research. Whats the weather like in Chicago? I lived in Chicago for 10 years. Lakeview east Clark and Diversey.

Thanks pgroah, just got 6 inches of fresh snow here. So do you miss the awesome restaurants here? That's one thing I think I would miss the most if I moved. Though not being in view of a Mt like Mt Hood had it's drawbacks. Flatlander for life I think. Makes it easy to have single speed bikes.

Check out eBay, item # 170545999608.

Here's a pic, just to whet your appetite.

Attachments

• cycle truck.jpg
    cycle truck.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 128
Check out eBay, item # 170545999608.

Here's a pic, just to whet your appetite.

That's a nice Schwinn there. Ready for the sign painter or graphics.

But that is the Grandson of the bike I'm looking for. Not only a pre-war bike but a mid-war (WWI) version. The patent describes the attributes of the front fork lock to help "...render the steering mechanism inoperative for preventing the bicycle from ridden off by a purloiner."

...render the steering mechanism inoperative for preventing the bicycle from ridden off by a purloiner."

Pretty neat front locking fork design. I like the illustration showing the lock drawn in broken lines.

View attachment 16439

I also like the 1914 patent submission date. Does anyone else know some other early locking fork designs? Other, of course, than Scott's freaky mushroom alien riding past the moon Colson locking fork design. In case you haven't seen it... http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?12614-Here-s-an-odd-Colson

And thanks Dave for the info of the one in Iowa. I'd love to see that.

Last edited:
It probably ended up being sourced to Schwinn,they made all of the Mead bikes I've seen.

Pat

Last edited:
Back