When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1917 Deluxe Flyer Motobike

-

10~18kustoms

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This project started about 7 or 8 years ago when a friend set me up on a lead about a couple of old and very rough Motobikes he knew of. Well, I bought them, and they went on the back burner project list (aka. the back wall of my barn). I knew nothing about this bike or what it was, but was intrigued by 1) the real cool head badge, that still had unbelievable color for its age from what looked like a porcelain or glass on it. And, 2) the unusual Persons long spring seat that had the seat spring stays on the outside of the springs.

While it spent several years hanging on the back wall of my barn I was able to track down a little info on the bike and find these old catalog pictures of a 1917 Deluxe Flyer Motobike. The unusual head badge was a match. Also found a couple of other bikes like it out there on the net, so now I knew what the bike originally looked like.. Apparently sold as a Hawthorne, but I'm still not sure who the manufacture was.

Last edited:
Bike appears to be made by Pope/Westfield, both the frame and fork. Could we get better pics of the rear axle forks and the front fork crown also? Good looking survivor with the badge intact, more and more rare as time continues on.

I had believed that those badges went on A&S built Hawthorne Flyers, but not sure of the years; maybe it depends on model as well.

Holy-Moley, I believe that a member has such frame for sale, and that the oval-shaped stays at the bottom brackets may be a clue.

Last edited:
Back