Back to the build. Once the bike was apart, I was curious what the paint looked like under the rust so it went into an OA bath. Much to my disappointment when the powdery pinkish orange layer was gone there was nothing much left of the paint and I basically just had a bare frame. So any hopes of building it as an OG paint survivor was gone. I sent the seat pan to Bob U to be recovered, and the bright work to my friend Pappy's shop Acme Plating for some new nickel. Here is the before and after of the seat.
I don't like the look of an over restored super shiny bike, or even worse an under restored rattle can paint looking bike, so I set out to try for something in the middle. I started with a dark red (burgundy) and black base coat. Had Bob Bond add some thin line pinstripe accents in yellow. Then it was all clear coated with a matte clear urethane. I then used a medium light abrasive polish to add a little shine. It takes a more work & elbow grease than shooting a gloss clear, but I think this method gives the newer urethane a little more of the old hand rubbed enamel look.