When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1917 Deluxe Flyer Motobike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It is Matrix Systems base coat Dark Red/Burgundy with a Satin Clear coat over it, then hand rubbed. I was just winging it off of the pictures of a couple bikes I found on the internet. (see last pictures). It is basically a special mix I had my paint guy match off of a prewar Monark color that looked real close.

View attachment 1433043

View attachment 1433044

View attachment 1433045

View attachment 1433046

View attachment 1433047
Thank you for the paint info. Tracking your work.

Thanks for the kind words Carolina Rambler, but this build has also been in the works for years not months. Many of those years it just hung on the wall, waiting for the right time and finding the right missing parts. Then there was also a pretty good wait while the Nickel plating was getting done. It did go pretty fast once I got it all back and the wheel set was done pretty fast. But then again it has set since early May waiting for final assembly until yesterday when I started doing that. Hopefully I won't get side tracked again and will finish it up this coming week. Seat, bars, and pedals are all that's left.

View attachment 1433041

View attachment 1433042
Oh yeah, now we're talking. That thing looks real slick! And I'll tell you, I bet it is pretty fast. Although mine's not totally done yet, it is far enough along that I was able to ride it, and compared at least to a typical balloon tire bike, it is a fast one! You'll get a lot of looks when you ride that bike around town.

Well after 7 years hanging on the back wall of the barn, and at least a year and a half of reworking it, it is finally a rider again. But before I show the finished bike I want to THANK a whole lot of people on and off the CABE for their help. First a few non CABE friends Paul Kruse for finding me the bike, Bob Bond for the pinstriping, Jeff Wilson for the Urethane Matte Clear on frame & fork, and Larry Mong for the custom drop stand. Also couldn't have done it without the help of these CABE Members. Pappy, and Acme Brass Plating for the nickel work. Bobcycles, for the seat recover. SM2501, for the tiller bars. New Mexico Brant for the skip chain. And, KevinsBikes for the wheel set. THANKS to everyone that helped and following this thread, I plan to get the white tires dirty ASAP. Before & after pictures to follow.

Before:

After:

20210621_165229.jpg

nice restoration
do you think the bike had a tank?
Yes, based on the ad pictures and the "Deluxe" name I'm pretty sure it had a tank when sold. At least the deluxe version, there were probably cheaper more basic versions sold also, but probably badged as a Flyer only. I have been looking for a tank for it for the last couple years that is correct for this frame but haven't ever seen one yet. I have seen a few that look close, but the two top bars on this frame are much more narrow than most moto bike style frames/tanks ( only 1 3/4" spacing) most are 2" or more. I will keep looking, and if I ever get lucky and find one I will add it.

Yes, based on the ad pictures and the "Deluxe" name I'm pretty sure it had a tank when sold. At least the deluxe version, there were probably cheaper more basic versions sold also, but probably badged as a Flyer only. I have been looking for a tank for it for the last couple years that is correct for this frame but haven't ever seen one yet. I have seen a few that look close, but the two top bars on this frame are much more narrow than most moto bike style frames/tanks ( only 1 3/4" spacing) most are 2" or more. I will keep looking, and if I ever get lucky and find one I will add it.
Hi, I've been following your post and think I might have some useful information. I told you before about the Deluxe Flyer I was restoring but haven't finished yet, and this one still has the original factory toolbox. Below is some pictures that you might could use for reference, and if ever you need some dimensions or details or something, I can help you out with that. One thing I will mention, is that this is the only surviving example I've ever seen of the original toolbox tank used on these bikes in 1916-18. Around 1920 and later, deluxe flyers were furnished with a slightly newer style toolbox tank, as seen in the last image (says elgin on it, but it is just to give you an idea of an option you could go with). One nice thing about the later style tank, is that it is much more well built and sturdier. The earlier style like I have, is literally soldered together at the seams, and made out of a single cut piece of sheet metal folded and soldered into shape. It is as weak as a cookie tin, and I had to totally rebuild it for my restoration. It might not be too difficult to fabricate a replica of the original at home even. The later type is nice though, because it is thicker, stronger metal, has better latches and hinges, and is crimped together; it is also much easier to find one for sale, maybe around $200-$300 or so. Hope this helps a little.

1624678024413.png

1624678063093.png

1624678115029.png

1624680292639.png

1624678384123.png

1624678411321.png

Last edited:
Hi, I've been following your post and think I might have some useful information. I told you before about the Deluxe Flyer I was restoring but haven't finished yet, and this one still has the original factory toolbox. Below is some pictures that you might could use for reference, and if ever you need some dimensions or details or something, I can help you out with that. One thing I will mention, is that this is the only surviving example I've ever seen of the original toolbox tank used on these bikes in 1916-18. Around 1920 and later, deluxe flyers were furnished with a slightly newer style toolbox tank, as seen in the last image (says elgin on it, but it is just to give you an idea of an option you could go with). One nice thing about the later style tank, is that it is much more well built and sturdier. The earlier style like I have, is literally soldered together at the seams, and made out of a single cut piece of sheet metal folded and soldered into shape. It is as weak as a cookie tin, and I had to totally rebuild it for my restoration. It might not be too difficult to fabricate a replica of the original at home even. The later type is nice though, because it is thicker, stronger metal, has better latches and hinges, and is crimped together; it is also much easier to find one for sale, maybe around $200-$300 or so. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for the info. I figured there was a reason there are so few of these tanks around, the flimsy design makes since. I'm pretty happy with the bike as is, but if I get energetic in the future and try to fabricate or even modify a newer one I'll definitely get with you for dimensions and advice.

Last edited:
Back