When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1917 Deluxe Flyer Motobike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm not going for an exact clone of the 1917 catalog picture, But rather using my favorite elements from the catalog picture, and the couple of pictures of actual bike examples I could find. One of the things I did want for this build was a pair of Tiller bars like shown in the catalog picture, and the original cross brace bars were rusted through and unusable. (They are still getting used on a yard/barn light project). While I was waiting on the bright work to come back from the plating shop I was lucky enough to find a repop set of tiller bars from our fearless leader SM2501, and they were already Nickle plated.

Another feature I wanted from the catalog picture was the matching paint rims with white tires look. The original rear wood rim was beyond repair/reuse and there was no front with it. I didn't want to go with the era wood rims & single tube tires either, rather wanted something ridable so when I found a fellow CABE member offering a real nice Blunt 35 wheel set that also have super nice vintage hubs I knew these would work.

Once they arrived the rims were de-laced, then painted to match. Re-laced and white 700C tires mounted. Now all ready for final assembly next week when I get back from the Midwest Bicycle Swap in Haysville.

Great looking bike and resto !!!
I happened to run across a guy that found a 16 / 17 Deluxe Flyer in his Dad's barn
Any interest - also has a TOC era Featherstone - Model C I've never seen / find no info on
Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Another feature I wanted from the catalog picture was the matching paint rims with white tires look. The original rear wood rim was beyond repair/reuse and there was no front with it. I didn't want to go with the era wood rims & single tube tires either, rather wanted something ridable so when I found a fellow CABE member offering a real nice Blunt 35 wheel set that also have super nice vintage hubs I knew these would work. View attachment 1400978

Once they arrived the rims were de-laced, then painted to match. Re-laced and white 700C tires mounted. Now all ready for final assembly next week when I get back from the Midwest Bicycle Swap in Haysville.
View attachment 1400981

View attachment 1400982

View attachment 1400985
I only just now found your post on this bike. Excellent work you are doing, it is looking fantastic! Believe it or not, I am actually right now restoring a bike of this exact model you have right now, 1917 or 18 Montgomery Ward's deluxe flyer. The only difference is, its taking me over a year, and looks like you've got all of that accomplished in just a few months! Wish I could do like that. Keep us posted once you've got er finished and stitched back up! Thanks for Posting!

I only just now found your post on this bike. Excellent work you are doing, it is looking fantastic! Believe it or not, I am actually right now restoring a bike of this exact model you have right now, 1917 or 18 Montgomery Ward's deluxe flyer. The only difference is, its taking me over a year, and looks like you've got all of that accomplished in just a few months! Wish I could do like that. Keep us posted once you've got er finished and stitched back up! Thanks for Posting!
Thanks for the kind words Carolina Rambler, but this build has also been in the works for years not months. Many of those years it just hung on the wall, waiting for the right time and finding the right missing parts. Then there was also a pretty good wait while the Nickel plating was getting done. It did go pretty fast once I got it all back and the wheel set was done pretty fast. But then again it has set since early May waiting for final assembly until yesterday when I started doing that. Hopefully I won't get side tracked again and will finish it up this coming week. Seat, bars, and pedals are all that's left.

The red paint name and color??? Thank you.
It is Matrix Systems base coat Dark Red/Burgundy with a Satin Clear coat over it, then hand rubbed. I was just winging it off of the pictures of a couple bikes I found on the internet. (see last pictures). It is basically a special mix I had my paint guy match off of a prewar Monark color that looked real close.

20210619_223103.jpg

20210619_223230.jpg

20210619_223310.jpg

7c675cc98fe3da9cb69c5bf607ef3544--luxe-flyers.jpg

FB_IMG_1543182250358.jpg

Last edited:
Back