When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1917? Pierce Buffalo bike with stars and flag on bell

-

Trimacar

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a chance to acquire this bicycle, it's a Pierce Buffalo badged bike (although I don't like badges put on with screws, so is that debatable?).

A lady's bike, has a chain guard with stars on it, a decal I've never seen, and a bell with an American flag on it. In the same family since new.

I'm thinking maybe this was 1917 or so, a tribute to the war effort and patriotism? Or?

If anyone know anything about this bike would appreciate the input. Sorry for poor pictures, that's all I have, it's hanging in a garage and this is the best the guy said he could do.....

Thanks David Coco Winchester Va. (another forum I'm on requires name and location, so I'm sort of in the habit of adding that)

bell.jpg

decal.jpg

Pierce chain guard.jpg

emblem.jpg

Thanks for reply, I don't have a serial number. I don't know the year of the bike, my conjecture was later but it might be much earlier? Let me know what years you've seen that chain guard on, please.

Here are more pictures. Thanks for any help, I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be on Pierce bikes, and appreciate any input. David Coco Winchester Va.

front fork.jpg

front view badge.jpg

other side badge.jpg

handle bar.jpg

hub.jpg

rear hub.jpg

wheel and tire.jpg

seat.jpg

I think that bike or at least the head badge is older than 1917 . I think the Pierces bike where made in Angola around 1910 or so but not sure. Maybe sound one will know for sure.
It does have early correct front hub and closed ends on the fork for front hub.

The Pierce Cycle Company was sold to Emblem in 1918, and production moved to Angola. Technically, the Pierce Cycle Company was a separate entity from the Pierce Arrow Motor Car Company from about 1908 to 1918. It was run by Percy Pierce, nephew of George N. Pierce. George had founded the PAMCC.

I did not know the guard could be that early. The bike belongs to a lady whose story is that her aunt bought it new, the lady remembers her riding it and states it’s all original just as she remembers it. I can’t reconcile the years, maybe a great aunt?Of course, a lot can happen to a piece of machinery in a hundred years....

Thanks for reply, we’re working out shipping now, when I get it will search for serial number....

that decal is awesome, I have a black and white image of that graphic, (at home on my desktop) I will post it when I get off work later.

As others have mentioned, it is earlier than 1917.

I’d like to see that black and white image. It is a cool decal, shame it’s scraped but at least it’s there.

Earlier than 17, but later than what, 1908 or so, when company named changed to Pierce Cycle Company as on badge?

Have made a deal on it, won’t be delivered until first of October, he’s out west and he and his wife do not want to ship....

I’d like to see that black and white image. It is a cool decal, shame it’s scraped but at least it’s there.

Earlier than 17, but later than what, 1908 or so, when company named changed to Pierce Cycle Company as on badge?

Have made a deal on it, won’t be delivered until first of October, he’s out west and he and his wife do not want to ship....

They used this graphic as far back as 1897, in a catalog.

Also, in 1906, on the notice of the fire in the factory. (from bicycling world, March 31, 1906)

I'd love to have the image in color, like on the bicycle. That would be sweet.

Also, the badge on your machine was introduced circa 1906/7

Back