When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1917 Schwinn Excelsior Motorbike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

oddball

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can anyone inform me the Excelsior tank script size (width & height) and color (silver? white?) on the teens Schwinn motorbike?

My guess early Excelsior script was a silver foil, but that's just a guess. At this point the size is more needed, and my guess on that is around 6".
Any examples out there!!

Could you scale up the image/artwork of the tank to actual size and base the size of the lettering on that? You'd really just need to do the toolbox tank door and take measurements from there. (I think, no artist here for sure) ;)

Heres a 1915 on Worthpoint. Maybe someone knows who currently owns this bike?
schwinn-excelsior-1915-b-4-motorbike_1_4e360f9036b628b0db145de0056c594f.jpg

The font in the graphic looks like a script like the decals for sale on ebay, are these for the later 30s ballooners?
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
This is a Michigan City Excelsior ⬆️

Dave's sight has a shot of the same teens schwinn showing faint script. I'd say silver is a good choice.
View attachment 1563753

View attachment 1563754
Wooops, ignorant as charged! ;) Thanks for correcting. I thought I had seen a reference that Schwinn bought our Excelsior in 1912 so just assumed if this was 1915 it would be Schwinn. Of course, no idea if it really is 1915 as it didn't have the qualifier of my generation, "as seen on TV!"🤣

But wait, on third or fourth look doesn't the head badge say Mfd. By Arnold Schwinn Chicago...
15 excelsior-schwinn3.jpg

Last edited:
But wait, on third or fourth look doesn't the head badge say Mfd. By Arnold Schwinn Chicago...
The Schwinn ones are the "X" badges.
Michigan City Excelsiors have a large "E" on the badge script... except for one year.

So the worthpoint/Daves Vintage bike you posted is a Schwinn, but the olive drab with gold text one is a different bike, Michigan City Excelsior.

The Schwinn ones are the "X" badges.
Michigan City Excelsiors have a large "E" on the badge script... except for one year.

So the worthpoint/Daves Vintage bike you posted is a Schwinn, but the olive drab with gold text one is a different bike, Michigan City Excelsior.
Ha, old age is hell. I thought I'd deleted the Michigan Excelsior photo before I posted. Duh! 🤪

Back