1918 Columbia renovation

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

ChadC

Finally riding a big boys bike
Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
Hi all,
this will be my "journal" documenting the renovation of the Columbia currently in my care. I purchased her last year kinda by accident while purchasing a WW1 Raleigh, and returned to the USA after a lengthy trip to Europe! I'm trying to be as accurate as possible, and hopefully do justice to this bicycle and make sure the gods are pleased with my efforts! Lol...

Here's how she looked up till a few weeks ago...

I'd also like this thread to serve as a little tribute to my late wife Glenna, who passed away 21/01/19 at the age of 45 after a 5 year battle against breast cancer. We were together nearly 25 years, and she always rolled her eyes at the latest project, and I'm sure this one is no different, lol. I'd like to think it was her who kicked me in the a$$ to get moving on this project...

Make the most of this worrisome and dangerous time with your family and loved ones, time is too fleeting and can, and will change in the blink of an eye.

Lots more to come...

Chad

Last edited:

ChadC

Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
Linking my WTB for parts...

ChadC

Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
Great article @fordsnake. Anybody ever see a scrap of the web straps? I'm not knowledgeable on WW1 field gear at all.

ChadC

Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
A couple weeks ago...I've taken some liberties, like the fenders, will either be replaced with correct types or I'll cut these...don't really want to do that tho. That original seat is now in the spares bin.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

ChadC

Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
"Bodywork" done. Most of the hard work was already done for me and the frame needed minimal work...all cosmetic. I just used automotive primer I had laying around...and painted with the Aervoe 34087. It was hard for me to tell online, but definitely looks great and as stated, lots more brown and yellow in the Aervoe as compared to others such as Gillespie or Rapco 34087.

blackcat

Apr 4, 2017
Le Raincy, France
Hello Chad;
You found very beautiful parts, at this rate, you will have finished well before our 3 COLUMBIA 1917-18 :smileycat:
Attention, i noticed that you have a friend of mine watching you :smilecat:
Regards;
Serge

ChadC

Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
Rat trap disassembly....I was kinda worried about screwing these up taking them apart, but it was ok....a bunch of detail pictures...hopefully these will help someone along the way.

only damage from the pliers....

Careful here! BOTH ENDS! Some tried to run, but I found them.

ChadC

Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
Feel free to add any related info and pictures please!

ChadC

Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
This was probably one of the harder decisions I had to make. I wanted period patriotic type of bell...because why not? It was plated....and I will restore the base and then re-enamel the details. The only thing that got me ok with that decision was that it would look out of place on the bright shiny new bike. I think the bell will be happy in it's new home.

ChadC

Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
Serial shot....the numbers got hit a lot harder that the J, enough to dent it in!

Reactions: piercer_99

ChadC

Mar 24, 2018
Monterey, CA, USA
This is my first attempt at restoring a bicycle...everything else has been larger. This is more fun because they fit in the house and I don't hurt for 2 days after working on them. I guess I get excited over little things. :yum:

Stay safe...wash your hands.

Some random stuff...

the old colors...

And using @Bozman plans, painters dropcloth and a can of flex seal....Phil Swift would be proud.

Fingers all intact...

More cuts needed...

I didn't get a pic, but I sprayed a final coat using the last of the can. I even made the rubberized canvas authentic by overspraying the gravel and dirt in! Cool thing, after the flap totally cured, it retained the shape of the fender perfectly!

Phil.jpg

Last edited:

TonyD

In Memoriam
Feb 10, 2020
Leonard, Michigan
That’s beautiful. I get it. I work on machines bigger than my house. Huge bridge mills and automation systems. I enjoy the detail of something I can lift without a crane.
Great job, keep your pictures coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChadC
This ad goes away when you register for an account!