When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1918 DAYTON Military Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dayton military badge.jpg

Hi All,

Please excuse my asking this on a Dayton thread. As some of you may know I'm working on a Columbia Military Model at the moment. The subject of tires is a bit of a problem for me, and that excellent Dayton ad. has raised the question again, showing what appears to be white tires.

I'm aware that the wheels/tyres on 'surplus' Columbias as advertised for sale to the public are not necessarily the same as those fitted to the 'in service' bike.

As an example, here is the advert for the immediate post war Columbia built up with surplus parts (Credit Mr Columbia's site:(

http://www.vintagecolumbiabikes.com...AtWar/1920MilitaryModel.jpg&target=tlx_picler

It appears to show the Vitalic tire tread, and states in the ad; that Vitalic De Luxe or Fisk Cord are the tire options on Steel Cement rims.

The rear rim (below) on my 1917 bike appears to be original (it still has the Morrow hub etc), but appears to be a 'Clincher' type rather than 'Steel Cement'. This leads me to think that not all of the options seen in post war advertising are correct for wartime bikes.

Photo A200.jpg

So, (bearing in mind I am still a beginner at this!),

Is the above Clincher rim for a tire with separate tube, or a single tube tire?

Were Vitalic treads available in both of these options?

Did wartime bikes have black or white tires (the ones in the Davis ad; look white)?

I'm getting to the point of buying the tires, so I'd like to be correct if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

The rim is a clincher and it takes a single tube.
Vitalic came in white. And different tread colors. Red/blue. I have only ever seen a colored vitalic set once. White is the most common. I struggle to ever use the word "common" when talking vitalic. They are a rare find. Good luck
IMG_1833.JPG
The bottom picture is the clinch version.

Hi Goldenindian,

thanks for the comprehensive reply. The tyre that came off it was a very early and disintegrating black single tube made by Dunlop in France,

OK, so it looks like I'll have to spend some time getting something near original, which means (since I want to use the bike) two wheel sets, something practical, and (hopefully eventually ((Hope costs nothing)) something real. That's helped with that decision. Now to find a suitable wheelset with white tyres...

Have a Good Weekend,

Adrian

Thanks for the information, Hoofhearted. (-:

Now I have another bit to find (and I have a very nice Solar mounted on it at the moment!)

Happy New Year.

Adrian

Back