When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1918 DAYTON Military Bicycle

-

radar image neverout dec 6, 1917.jpg

Hi All,

Following up the Neverout lamp discussion, I came across this catalogue page detailing the different types and brackets to go with them.

Interesting that the 'Bicycle' light was supplied with both brackets (types 3 and 4) to fit to the fork and the head tube, and that the Military clamp (type 66) is actually for a Motorcycle. This could be easily mistaken for the type 46 carriage dash bracket.

Best Regards,

Adrian.

Neverout 02.jpg

Hi All,

I'm here to ask for a favour. (-:

I've bought a 'Neverout' lamp and clamp for my 1917 'Military Model' Columbia from the US, but can only get it shipped to addresses in the US. Would anyone be willing to receive it, and send it on to me in France? I would pay the postage by Paypal.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi All,

I'm here to ask for a favour. (-:

I've bought a 'Neverout' lamp and clamp for my 1917 'Military Model' Columbia from the US, but can only get it shipped to addresses in the US. Would anyone be willing to receive it, and send it on to me in France? I would pay the postage by Paypal.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Adrian ..... I can help.

Am contacting you off the line, thru CABE PM ...
with my Ohio address.

Don't worry about the Paypal stuff -- hoo nose ...
I may need a small favor in return one day.

..... patric

Hi All,

Please excuse my asking this on a Dayton thread. As some of you may know I'm working on a Columbia Military Model at the moment. The subject of tires is a bit of a problem for me, and that excellent Dayton ad. has raised the question again, showing what appears to be white tires.

I'm aware that the wheels/tyres on 'surplus' Columbias as advertised for sale to the public are not necessarily the same as those fitted to the 'in service' bike.

As an example, here is the advert for the immediate post war Columbia built up with surplus parts (Credit Mr Columbia's site:(

http://www.vintagecolumbiabikes.com...AtWar/1920MilitaryModel.jpg&target=tlx_picler

It appears to show the Vitalic tire tread, and states in the ad; that Vitalic De Luxe or Fisk Cord are the tire options on Steel Cement rims.

The rear rim (below) on my 1917 bike appears to be original (it still has the Morrow hub etc), but appears to be a 'Clincher' type rather than 'Steel Cement'. This leads me to think that not all of the options seen in post war advertising are correct for wartime bikes.

View attachment 682360

So, (bearing in mind I am still a beginner at this!),

Is the above Clincher rim for a tire with separate tube, or a single tube tire?

Were Vitalic treads available in both of these options?

Did wartime bikes have black or white tires (the ones in the Davis ad; look white)?

I'm getting to the point of buying the tires, so I'd like to be correct if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Holy Crap, Adrian ... don't know how I glazed over your
entry of September 25, 2017 .. but I did. My apologies to you.

Not sure of tire color on the Columbia. The Dayton is often
shown with all-white tires. The only pic I have of the H-D
has black, with whitewall tires.

1918 H-D factory fotos __ top __ Model B-1 Military __ bottom __ Model 4-18 Motorcyke  004.jpg

Every original Military Model ... the Columbia, the Dayton, the H-D ..
and the Great Western ...has steel clinchers ... just like you show
in your entry.

Sorry, but I can only site my visual experience as evidence. I offer no
scholarly support like documentation or an illustration. If I could ....
I would have done so.

These clincher wheels want a beaded-edge tire with a separate tube.

You are correct ... the post-WW l Columbia Military is offered with
steel, glue-on rims.

My tall frame Military H-D has steel clinchers. As I have no clinchers
nice enough to place on my patinated machine .. am gonna run a
pair of all black, inflatable Universal's on those wheels. It's a show
item .. am not ridin' it. Am pretty sure there are a few readers that
are cringing at my decision.

..... patric

1918 davis  001   military small image.jpg

Last edited:
Back