When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1919 Flying Merkel Original Paint Stunner !

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These channeled fender braces are an interesting build feature on the Flying Merkel. I discovered this patent date stamped on the underside of the rear axle brace clip (Pat. May 14, 1918). Anyone know who the manufacturer is? With each bicycle knowledge is gained and another research project is in order. It will be great to see this patent drawings for these braces!

View attachment 1961282

View attachment 1961283
International Stamping would be a likely suspect.

These channeled fender braces are an interesting build feature on the Flying Merkel. I discovered this patent date stamped on the underside of the rear axle brace clip (Pat. May 14, 1918). Anyone know who the manufacturer is? With each bicycle knowledge is gained and another research project is in order. It will be great to see this patent drawings for these braces!

View attachment 1961282

View attachment 1961283

US1266251_Page_1.jpg

US1266251_Page_2.jpg

US1266251_Page_3.jpg

Other Walter R. Green patents for bicycle stands, luggage carrier, and mud guards:
1.JPG

2.JPG

I have taken the week off and have committed time to playing with bicycles.

This 1919 Flying Merkel manufactured by Miami Cycle Co. Middletown, Ohio. It is thought to be a model 437 but more research is needed. The 28" Vitalic tires are original to the bicycle and are correct for that year. It is a short frame measuring at 18 1/4 inches. The pedals are Miami built Hercules; these were not on the bicycle when found so more research is needed; they are correct for 1917/18. I have added this saddle as it is proper for the 1920 and 1921 model but technically the junior "Scout" Troxel saddle is right for 1919. This will be changed back upon the arrival of a Scout saddle from Lester @lgrinnings. I also want to add an original period front fender mud flap but was unable to locate the ones I have in storage.

Provenance:

The 1919 Flying Merkel surfaced on Facebook in July 2021. Dave Nash was the successful buyer at that time. Statement from Mr. Nash: "The Merkel came from Hudson Wi. a 90 year old man found it back in the1960's in a barn." As I recall the gentleman had a relative help post the bicycle on Facebook.

At that time I tried to buy it but it turned into a bidding war between myself and another Caber (Dave). I stepped down but asked for the first right of refusal if he ever decided to sell the Merkel. A huge thank you Dave!

Acknowledgements:

I would like to thank @dave the wave , @cr250mark (one of the pedals), @tim elder (current junior motobike saddle), and @Phallon1 (bull dog grips). Dan Lepro for literature and research assistance. @lgrinnings for the forthcoming "Scout" saddle, and Glenn @Goldenindian for moral support.

It takes a community to make a bicycle great!

View attachment 1961199

View attachment 1961200

View attachment 1961201

View attachment 1961202

View attachment 1961203

View attachment 1961204

View attachment 1961205

View attachment 1961206

View attachment 1961207

View attachment 1961208

View attachment 1961209

View attachment 1961210

View attachment 1961211
This bike is a super cool and rare bike that came from about 3 hours west of my location. Great find Brant. Congrats.

Provenance update:

Today I had the pleasure to speak with the second owner of the model 437 Flying Merkel, Wally Laumeyer, from Cape Coral, Florida (formally Long Prairie, Minnesota). Mr. Laumeyer had a friend (Ryan Polcin) post the bicycle on Facebook on July 11, 2021. It came to him from his uncle John Laumeyer, Long Prairie, MN who was the bicycle's original owner. Wally owned the Merkel for approxiamately 25-30 year and had it hanging in a shed; he said "that is what saved the wooden wheels."

Thanks to Mark Dalke @cr250mark for providing me with the original Facebook images.

IMG_9145.jpeg

IMG_9139.jpeg

IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_4819.jpeg

Last edited:
Provenance update:

Today I had the pleasure to speak with the second owner of the model 437 Flying Merkel, Wally Laumeyer, from Cape Coral, Florida (formally Long Prairie, Minnesota). Mr. Laumeyer had a friend (Ryan Polcin) post the bicycle on Facebook on July 11, 2021. It came to him from his uncle John Laumeyer, Long Prairie, MN who was the bicycle's original owner. Wally owned the Merkel for approxiamately 25-30 year and had it hanging in a shed; he said "that is what saved the wooden wheels."

Thanks to Mark Dalke @cr250mark for providing me with the original Facebook images.

View attachment 1962122

View attachment 1962123

View attachment 1962124

View attachment 1962125
Wow, what an incredible find. Nice shirt to go with the bike. Go Flying Merkel Go!!

Back