When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1919 sears elgin king, dayton built??

-

luckyfind

Finally riding a big boys bike
I bought this bike a few months back off of ebay. It was said to be an Iver Johnson. It is clearly not. Talking with a friend, he suggested maybe a sears elgin king, dayton built. It is a beautiful bike with a lot of original paint. There is one dent on the frame. Looks like it was shot with a 22. Any help identifying this bike would be great. My stable is a little to full for this build right now. So after i find out some history I'll post it in the sell trade forum. Thanks for the help.
IMG_2473.jpg
IMG_2474.jpg
IMG_2475.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2477.jpg
    IMG_2477.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 334
Hi Thomas
I would agree that it is a Davis built bike, but not an Elgin King. Some other King. The badge almost looks like it doesn't belong, maybe added later, not sure? I will look at some catalog stuff for you on Monday.
Ivo

Hi Thomas
I would agree that it is a Davis built bike, but not an Elgin King. Some other King. The badge almost looks like it doesn't belong, maybe added later, not sure? I will look at some catalog stuff for you on Monday.
Ivo

great thanks! the bike came with a bunch of mixed up parts. It would be awesome to find the correct badge. I think the bike would look stunning as a rider with all the correct parts

Sorry. No info here. Just wanted to say... Great bike, love the paint and pins.
Peek under the badge and see what ya see.

~ Nick

No Luck in Catalog

The only Elgin King bikes I see in pre 1920 Sears catalogs are diamond frame, the badges are different and clearly state "Elgin King". It looks like your frame has the geometry of the 1920 (yes I saw the "9") and later Davis motorbike.
Patric may have more info for you if he sees your post.
Good luck with it.

The only Elgin King bikes I see in pre 1920 Sears catalogs are diamond frame, the badges are different and clearly state "Elgin King". It looks like your frame has the geometry of the 1920 (yes I saw the "9") and later Davis motorbike.
Patric may have more info for you if he sees your post.
Good luck with it.

Thank you, Balloontyre ... Good Mornin', luckyfind ... not sure what the meaning of that badge is.

The frame has the appearance of a Davis-Built 1920 thru 1922 motorbike. However, it has a Model-Year,
Number Stamp of 9. The placement of this number suggests only model-year ... NOT YEAR BUILT.

These teen's-era bicycles are clothed in mystery, regardless of the manufacturer. Wish I could be
more helpful.

........ patric

DAVIS year of manuf. stampings.jpg

============
============

Sorry. No info here. Just wanted to say... Great bike, love the paint and pins.
Peek under the badge and see what ya see.

~ Nick

I just removed the head badge and it looks like its been on there for some time. no real clues, the paint has oxidized around the badge. ill try and post a pic later on. I'm thinking custom badge for a store of some kind. so maybe the badge is original. Im just guessing lots of questions??

IMG_2483.jpg
I just removed the head badge and it looks like its been on there for some time. no real clues, the paint has oxidized around the badge. ill try and post a pic later on. I'm thinking custom badge for a store of some kind. so maybe the badge is original. Im just guessing lots of questions??

Back