When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920-1930 bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dc76

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just bought this bicycle and it has no tags anywhere . I’ve looked all over the net at pics but can’t quit figure it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
97ED3653-9251-413D-83C3-4E18C8DF3E4B.jpeg

0170ED6A-3097-4553-A8DF-F7BCB3EDC86B.jpeg

2D560902-9A86-41E8-9541-3500CAE5C7BB.jpeg

75D998F0-7AC4-4E9A-B6B3-F26264467F65.jpeg

Looks like a 1920’s Excelsior Michigan City built frame with some parts replaced over time. Many were sold as Sears Elgin bicycles.
With the 28” tubeless tires and wood rims becoming obsolete, these bikes are often found with replacement 26” or 27” wheels.
Some members like to use modern 28” aluminum wheels (aka. 700c or 622mm) when refurbishing these old motorbikes.

Last edited:
Looks like a 1920’s Excelsior Michigan City built frame with some parts replaced over time. Many were sold as Sears Elgin bicycles.
With the 28” tubeless tires and wood rims becoming obsolete, these bikes are often found with replacement 26” or 27” wheels.
Some members like to use modern 28” aluminum wheels (aka. 700c or 622mm) when refurbishing these old motorbikes.
Thanks for the info , I’ve been really looking but the only thing that threw me off was the top and bottom tubes going into the head tube. The spacing is different then most bikes I’ve seen.

The number E 16371 I found on the bottom when cleaning the bicycle up. Any opinions

Great bike, Looks like they changed out the crank with one that probably came off a late 30's CWC bike when they changed out the wheels.

Seems it is an amalgam of many parts from many era's. Frame is 20's Excelsior as mentioned. A large volume of these frames exist, making it not necessarily collectable or valuable. It would make no sense to attempt to bring it back unless you had unlimited funds. Maybe re-paint it and enjoy riding it.

Seems it is an amalgam of many parts from many era's. Frame is 20's Excelsior as mentioned. A large volume of these frames exist, making it not necessarily collectable or valuable. It would make no sense to attempt to bring it back unless you had unlimited funds. Maybe re-paint it and enjoy riding it.
Thanks for the insight. I have a question it has a few dents in it should I repair them if I do send it to paint . If so what’s the best way to do so. Thanks ahead of time for you time.

The number E 16371 I found on the bottom when cleaning the bicycle up. Any opinions
I believe that "E" serial number prefix might indicate the middle-1920's; (but I already hinted at 1920's!). The tubing and joints may look unfamiliar, as it was a 28" wheeled bicycle which used tubeless tires; and old bikes with obsolete tires do not seem to survive for very long, in any great quantities. So, you may be more familiar with the tubing arrangement and joints on a smaller frame, or just newer bicycles? It seems that Sears catalog sales may have been slower than others to adopt the smaller "kid-size" for kids' bicycle toys.

Perhaps you might investigate the head tube to see if it reveals any head badge fastener holes. If it has vertical holes a little over 2" apart, then the bicycle may have been badged as an Elgin. If closer to 3" apart, then maybe Excelsior's own red "E" badge. Hope this helps a little.

I believe that "E" serial number prefix might indicate the middle-1920's; (but I already hinted at 1920's!). The tubing and joints may look unfamiliar, as it was a 28" wheeled bicycle which used tubeless tires; and old bikes with obsolete tires do not seem to survive for very long, in any great quantities. So, you may be more familiar with the tubing arrangement and joints on a smaller frame, or just newer bicycles? It seems that Sears catalog sales may have been slower than others to adopt the smaller "kid-size" for kids' bicycle toys.

Perhaps you might investigate the head tube to see if it reveals any head badge fastener holes. If it has vertical holes a little over 2" apart, then the bicycle may have been badged as an Elgin. If closer to 3" apart, then maybe Excelsior's own red "E" badge. Hope this helps a little.
Thank you for all your help it is greatly appreciated

Back