1920 elgin paint code?

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Notagamerguy

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
Does anyone known the paint code for this bicycle. sadly the paint is to far gone and there is only a little bit of orginal paint inside the tube but not enough to actually judge the color. Car paint codes, lowes paint card or what ever, it does not matter just something i can refrance. i.d. like to re paint this the proper red color and maybe the off white color if its proper this year bike or maybe 2 different colors entirely if someonehas the codes for time period correct color. also what color should the rims be. im buying new 700c so i can actually ride this bike when im done. Thank you

20200312_174835.jpg

20200314_125751.jpg

20200314_125845.jpg

20200318_195744.jpg

20200318_195930.jpg

1motime

I live for the CABE
Aug 7, 2019
WHERE I CHOOSE TO BE
No codes for that. Take what you have to local auto paint jobber or go to Home Depot and look for closest match in spray can
Nice bike!

Notagamerguy

Aug 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
No codes for that. Take what you have to local auto paint jobber or go to Home Depot and look for closest match in spray can
Nice bike!
Thats my goal to get automotive paint for this however theres no orginal color left on this bike excelt a spec inside the tube. Thank you though

1motime

I live for the CABE
Aug 7, 2019
WHERE I CHOOSE TO BE
Thats my goal to get automotive paint for this however theres no orginal color left on this bike excelt a spec inside the tube. Thank you though
Take the tube and speck to the store. Tell them what you want. If it a good store they will let you go through the chip books so you can see what is close. Millions of colors out there. .
Ask them if you can look at the FLEET COLOR books. You will find something that matches especially with a red!

Notagamerguy

Aug 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
Take the tube and speck to the store. Tell them what you want. If it a good store they will let you go through the chip books so you can see what is close. Millions of colors out there. .
Ask them if you can look at the FLEET COLOR books. You will find something that matches especially with a red!
What i interpret that spec to be may not be the proper color of the bike thats why im seeing if anyone else has the proper color. Its not like under a badge or the front fork in newer bikes where theres alot of the untouched color to truely know, all the color is washed.thank you for your advice though

piercer_99

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
Does anyone known the paint code for this bicycle. sadly the paint is to far gone and there is only a little bit of orginal paint inside the tube but not enough to actually judge the color. Car paint codes, lowes paint card or what ever, it does not matter just something i can refrance. i.d. like to re paint this the proper red color and maybe the off white color if its proper this year bike or maybe 2 different colors entirely if someonehas the codes for time period correct color. also what color should the rims be. im buying new 700c so i can actually ride this bike when im done. Thank you

20200312_174835.jpg

20200314_125751.jpg

20200314_125845.jpg

20200318_195744.jpg

20200318_195930.jpg
No codes have I.

However I do have the catalog for the 1927 model.

The colors were Cherry Red and Black with White darts.

Hope it is a little help.

The 1927 Edition of SEARS, ROEBUCK 227.jpg

piercer_99

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
I have the women's model, same Cherry Red paint, with Ivory head tube.

I have to give the frame a bath this summer and maybe the true colors will come through a bit.

Last edited:

The Carolina Rambler

Nov 25, 2018
North Carolina
Hello! I have a bicycle like yours that I plan on restoring here in the future, so I have been doing some research into its original paint color as well. From what I have gathered, a lot of these early 20s Elgins are Red and Cream, sometimes Red and Black. Others maybe all red with some box-line pinstriping. Some have an electric battery toolbox tank, and others don't. This was a higher end and popular model back in the day, and many were built and sold, so I imagine there were a number of variants produced. I have posted a couple of pictures. The first is of my Elgin which I recon is a '23 model, still completely as found. Also posted is the 1922 Sears Roebuck Catalog page advertising this bicycle. Its a little hard to read, but may provide some insight, and straight from the horse's mouth too!

1584619983642.png

1922 Sears Roebuck & Co. Catalog Page

$22.95 in 1922 is the equivalent of $464.38 in today's money, so a higher end model for sure.

1584620040094.png

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Notagamerguy

Aug 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
There seams to be at least 2 differnt reds and im guessing im just going to have to take a shot in the dark for the darker red.

I love the bikes guys

ccmerz

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 1, 2009
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
NO! Stay with cherry red. it will eventually darken down (patina) to a fine cherry wine colour..... after many years, of aging. If you want to hurry it along, (Of course you do) add a few DROPS of black to temper the red.

Reactions: Notagamerguy

Kato

I live for the CABE
Dec 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I'm sitting looking at my bike.......I think those 2 colors would look great.
The white on mine is more like an ivory and the red looks pretty close - mine might be a little darker / bluer........but then I'm in pigments / color industry and been a color matcher for 35 years :)

Last edited:

Notagamerguy

Aug 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
I'm sitting looking at my bike.......I think those 2 colors would look great.
The white on mine is more like an ivory and the red looks pretty close - mine might be a little darker / bluer........but then IO'm in pigment / color industry and been a color matcher for 35 years :)
Thats very helpful thankyou

tryder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 12, 2014
San Anselmo, CA
Have you looked inside the bottom bracket? Perhaps you could get a paint chip from there...

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Not too familiar with codes for paint; but once on a Rust-Oleum or distributors website, I saw some RGB-codes for some of their paints.
The colors are not the same when I use the codes on my computer; (Microsoft custom colors) perhaps depending on displays or drivers and printers.
For "Regal Red" their RGB code sequence was 144-34-37, which is more of an orangy fire truck red.
Rust-Oleum also has or had a "Cherry Red" but I did not record a RGB code for that one.

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!