When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920 elgin paint code?

-

Notagamerguy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Does anyone known the paint code for this bicycle. sadly the paint is to far gone and there is only a little bit of orginal paint inside the tube but not enough to actually judge the color. Car paint codes, lowes paint card or what ever, it does not matter just something i can refrance. Id like to re paint this the proper red color and maybe the off white color if its proper this year bike or maybe 2 different colors entirely if someonehas the codes for time period correct color. also what color should the rims be. im buying new 700c so i can actually ride this bike when im done. Thank you

20200312_174835.jpg

20200314_125751.jpg

20200314_125845.jpg

20200318_195744.jpg

20200318_195930.jpg

No codes for that. Take what you have to local auto paint jobber or go to Home Depot and look for closest match in spray can
Nice bike!

No codes for that. Take what you have to local auto paint jobber or go to Home Depot and look for closest match in spray can
Nice bike!
Thats my goal to get automotive paint for this however theres no orginal color left on this bike excelt a spec inside the tube. Thank you though

Thats my goal to get automotive paint for this however theres no orginal color left on this bike excelt a spec inside the tube. Thank you though
Take the tube and speck to the store. Tell them what you want. If it a good store they will let you go through the chip books so you can see what is close. Millions of colors out there. .
Ask them if you can look at the FLEET COLOR books. You will find something that matches especially with a red!

Take the tube and speck to the store. Tell them what you want. If it a good store they will let you go through the chip books so you can see what is close. Millions of colors out there. .
Ask them if you can look at the FLEET COLOR books. You will find something that matches especially with a red!
What i interpret that spec to be may not be the proper color of the bike thats why im seeing if anyone else has the proper color. Its not like under a badge or the front fork in newer bikes where theres alot of the untouched color to truely know, all the color is washed.thank you for your advice though

Does anyone known the paint code for this bicycle. sadly the paint is to far gone and there is only a little bit of orginal paint inside the tube but not enough to actually judge the color. Car paint codes, lowes paint card or what ever, it does not matter just something i can refrance. i.d. like to re paint this the proper red color and maybe the off white color if its proper this year bike or maybe 2 different colors entirely if someonehas the codes for time period correct color. also what color should the rims be. im buying new 700c so i can actually ride this bike when im done. Thank you

View attachment 1158144

View attachment 1158145

View attachment 1158146

View attachment 1158147

View attachment 1158148
No codes have I.

However I do have the catalog for the 1927 model.

The colors were Cherry Red and Black with White darts.

Hope it is a little help.

The 1927 Edition of SEARS, ROEBUCK 227.jpg

Hello! I have a bicycle like yours that I plan on restoring here in the future, so I have been doing some research into its original paint color as well. From what I have gathered, a lot of these early 20s Elgins are Red and Cream, sometimes Red and Black. Others maybe all red with some box-line pinstriping. Some have an electric battery toolbox tank, and others don't. This was a higher end and popular model back in the day, and many were built and sold, so I imagine there were a number of variants produced. I have posted a couple of pictures. The first is of my Elgin which I recon is a '23 model, still completely as found. Also posted is the 1922 Sears Roebuck Catalog page advertising this bicycle. Its a little hard to read, but may provide some insight, and straight from the horse's mouth too!

1584619983642.png

1922 Sears Roebuck & Co. Catalog Page

$22.95 in 1922 is the equivalent of $464.38 in today's money, so a higher end model for sure.

1584620040094.png

Last edited:
Back