When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920 National Advertising Campaign to Promote Bicycling

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
I'm sure many of you, like me, have seen this decal / image appear on seat tubes and in early 1920's advertisements but it has always bothered me a bit that I didn't really understand the significance.

I have been piecing together thoughts and references on the subject and I wanted to see what the hive mind had to say?

My theory is this decal / image is meant to indicate participation in the 1920 "National Advertising Campaign to Promote Bicycling" as mentioned at the bottom of the Kokomo Everlaster tire advert attached.
Also attached are multiple images showing early 1920's Chicago Handlebar Co adverts also showing the same image.

Any thoughts from you cycle-scholars?

1922 Boy Scout bars Chicago Handlebar Co Shelby Oh.jpg

1922 G-N Bars Chicago Handle Bar Co Shelby Oh.jpg

1922 Shelby Spring Grip Cross Bars Chicago Handle Bar Co Shelby Oh.jpg

1920 Kokomo Everlaster Twin Grip Tread.jpg

1920 Kokomo Everlaster Twin Grip Tread2.jpg

1920 Kokomo Everlaster Twin Grip Tread3.jpg

1920 Kokomo Everlaster Twin Grip Tread5.jpg

That was the symbol of the reputable dealer campaign.
If your bike or product came with that symbol, then it was originally purchased from a member of the reputable dealers association.
Kind of like a seal of approval, from the Cycle Trades of America Association.
I’m not sure, if that is exactly what the association was called, but that’s the gist of it, off the top of my head.

That was the symbol of the reputable dealer campaign.
If your bike or product came with that symbol, then it was originally purchased from a member of the reputable dealers association.
Kind of like a seal of approval, from the Cycle Trades of America Association.
I’m not sure, if that is exactly what the association was called, but that’s the gist of it, off the top of my head.
Excellent-
There was a time I suspected it was related to a specific mfg but that makes more sense-
Let me know if you dredge up any info from your archives

Will do.
My 1918 Harley Davidson Motorcyke has one of those decals on the seat tube.
Nice to know, that it was manufactured and sold by approved members of the Cycle Trades of America Association.
Kind of like being a Made Man.
Only in this case, it’s a bike.
If your bike doesn’t have that seal of approval, then it isn’t worthy. Lol!

I looked into this when I got my Indian. From what I remember: a bunch of the major companies got together to standardize bikes and promote safe riding. If the company donated to the campaign they got to use the decal. There was a trick rider ,Fred st Onge, that would go around the country put on shows, lead parades and talk about bike safety.

Edit add: I could only find references to this in 20 and 21.

Last edited:
Back