When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920ish Excelsior deluxe project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

theterrym

Finally riding a big boys bike
1920ish Excelsior deluxe project update

Here is my Excelsior Deluxe project. Still far from complete, but most of the work completed Everything was pretty strait so I didn't have that much body work to do. Of course the fork was a little bent and the fenders had some battle scars. A lot of tapping and tweaking now everything is nice and strait again. I just got the front wheel spoked up yesterday, I still need to true it up.
This is by far the most complicated paint job I have ever done. Many hours spent figuring out how to paint tiny black lines. A friend of mine does nickel plating at the university and offered to do all of my pieces for me. I got lucky with that!!
I have been slowly working on it for the last year and a half. It has taken far longer than I originally thought, but I think that's how every project goes. Once I get the rear hub and the rest of the head set pieces back from being plated I hope to start putting this bike back together. When I took it apart I had to cut some of the bolts off(fender and fender brace bolts) Does any one know a good source for a proper looking replacement?

DSC_5786.jpg

DSC_5773.jpg

DSC_5763.jpg

DSC_5757.jpg

DSC_3179.jpg

Last edited:
That's a very nice color combo; everything looks perfect so far and I am anticipating the grand finale!
Jake

WOW, love those colors. I really can't wait to see this done. Absolutely beautiful. The 1920's 1930's Motobikes are my favorite style bike. Yours is really pushing it too.

The original photo I made sure to take from the best angle. The rest of the bike where someone had sanded it to bare metal back in the day didn't look very bad ass... it just looked like a lot of rust. I enjoy an original bike that is in good savable condition, but this bike had been abused and when it just stopped it was just left outside. I tried cleaning it up, but much of its original glory was long gone. When I originally posted photos talking of my intention of a restoration (I realize that's a sensitive word around here with many different ideas of what that means) I had PMs letting me know how awful I was for destroying history.
Thank you for those people who were willing to ship parts to Canada and those who have enjoyed my work. At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion how an item should be preserved or restored and I just happened to really want a shiny new Excelsior Deluxe so that is what I am building to the best of my ability. I found parts where the paint was thick enough for a good polishing for a accurate color match. I would have loved to do all of the pin stripes by hand, but turns out im just not that good at it so it was my old friend fine line to the rescue.

Great project! I can hook you up with some cad plated slotted round head screws if you need any for mounting the fender to the frame etc. I think I have some screw rivets as well but it would be nice if you could find someone to rivet the fenders on. PM me if your interested.

Very nice indeed, beautiful!

Original is always nice but when a bike is too far gone finish-wise, a restoration allows us to see the bike as new which was quite a site back in the day, gleaming gems and works of art these bikes were at the time.

Last edited:
Back