When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920's-Pre-1933 Shelby Bicycle Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Page-2 of the 1922-24 patent shows an alternate style, with the same general construction; (figure-8?).

“the form shown in Figure 8 is flat on top”

The customer, Chicago Cycle Supply Co., likely chose the flat top form over the other “downwardly inclined” and “artistic” one, in their 1923 agreement to have the frame company supply “Meiselbach frames” and forks to the wholesale bicycle company; to then be assembled and sold with Chicago Cycle’s “Shelby” branding.

https://www.illinoisriverroad.org/p...ing-services/walter-brothers-harley-davidson/

Last edited:
^^I would agree AS. Great link to the missing patent info. He may have come up with the crown design (all trussed up/lighter) in the early 20's, as his patent was applied for in July, 1922. I have also recently been noticing what appear to be similar forks with no truss architechture or means to attach the Shelby-style truss plate to the base plate of the crown. These could be in fact earlier Meiselbach forks pre-patent.
My early Shelby's frame and ADM fork attached is very lightweight. The frames if not forks as well could be made with Shelby, Ohio seamless tubing in an effort to keep the weights down and quality high. Not sure how long they were in business.

Last edited:
Thanks, Brandt. Are these forks rare? Any idea why the patent drawings show a sloped crown but known forks don’t?
These forks are not very common but I would not say rare. I can’t answer why there was a design change. Two theories: #1 the flat crown version were easier or more efficient to manufacture; #2 the flat top version were stronger and held up better.

Often the actual manufactured parts vary from the original patent designs.

I found this cool ad. In my cabinet. Dates 1898 from century magazine.

I didn't think that badge, or fork, was used until 1924 or 1925.
I’m basing my date on the Walters Brothers H-D website where it states that in 1921 they operated as Walters Brothers Motorcycle and Bicycle Shop as shown on the dealer decal. In 1922 the dropped bicycles and changed their name to Walters Brothers Harley Davidson. I haven’t been able to verify the snn on the bottom bracket for dating. Here’s the link to the Walters H-D history. This is all I have to go on and would welcome other documentation to pinpoint the date.

https://waltersbroshd.com/about-us

Trying to think through some of the logic— in say 1922-23-24-25, who could have built the bicycles, (if any), sold by Walters HD & bicycle shop.

I am thinking that it could not be Davis (maker of earlier 1917-21 HD bicycles).

Last edited:
There is so little discussed or known about Shelby bicycles from this time period. If you have a bike or any historical tidbit please feel to post it here. This bike is currently for sale on EBay and definitely appears to be from the 1920's. The fork is the same as my Shelby built "New England" for G. W. Grady.
View attachment 1342348
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=164654638888

View attachment 1342346

View attachment 1342347
Hello. I bought this one, it was originally red, and it is now at the paint shop along with some parts. My question to you is did this bike originally roll with metal clad wood or just wood wheels?

Hello. I bought this one, it was originally red, and it is now at the paint shop along with some parts. My question to you is did this bike originally roll with metal clad wood or just wood wheels?
It is hard to know how these were outfitted as there isn't enough existing literature known besides advertisements. Either rim option is possible but clads were mostly being used.
If you are in need of a really nice pair of clads you may wish to contact Mark @markivpedalpusher for a really nice pair of rims.

Back